vi. you almost made it through the fall

"HOSTAGE/TRAPPED"

***

being a new teacher was something that got you quite nervous, always asking where things were and how to get them. you wanted to make a good impression, but being a new teacher with your husband as potions master was something that made the experience less daunting. you didn't have to pester anyone else, you'd always go to him.

there were many advantages that came with that, he would tell you all the things you didn't know about hogwarts, some tips and tricks on how to get around and at the end of the day, you would always come home to him in his arms. daunting but rewarding was how you went around it.

you were always the talk of the school, but today gilderoy lockheart brought that subject up.

"i came across professor l/n the other day, she was so timid, perhaps i could get her out of that little box she's in." he said, spitting on the word perhaps.

"well i think professor l/n is quite formidable." professor trelawney admitted, whilst the rest of the staff were going on with their ramblings, you were sat on the other table with severus, constantly looking behind you whenever your name was mentioned.

"they're talking about me again." you mumbled, putting your quill down. severus eyed gilderoy who hadn't been able to keep your name out of your mouth. neither of you knew what it was that made this teacher so invested in your life.

"give me a moment dear." he said, severus made his way to the group of teachers conversing around gilderoy, some of the female teachers even fawned over that forced grin of him which he couldn't get his eyes around.

"ah just the man i was looking for. i've appointed you to be my assistant for my defence against the dark arts class with the second years. now you can't dip out and if you do-"

"assistant?" severus blinked.

"well obviously, are you a parrot my man or do you need your wife to speak for you?" gilderoy teased.

"i am perfectly capable of speaking on my own. i simply came here to note that you've been mentioning my wife a lot. does it concern you who i am married to?" severus asked.

"well no...i just thought you'd do much better, severus. i always consider you to be with a lady more foreboding. more menacing." he said.

this man couldn't keep his mouth shut, it angered him. he could have lashed out on him, but he kept his cool.

"well it shouldn't, my wife is perfect the way she is so i suggest you keep her name out of your mouth, gilderoy." he said bluntly. he shot a glare at him before walking back to your table.

no doubt that severus had an ongoing grudge with gilderoy considering he took the post for defence against the dark arts, that was the job he wanted but alas he got there before him.

"did it work?" you asked.

"i'm not so sure, i think i scared him that's for sure." he said. you both continued marking your assignments, occasionally holding hands as you did.

you looked around the corner you were both in, something about it agitated it. "sev...could we move to your class? there's something off about this space." you asked.

"of course, anything for you my dear." he answered, getting up and grabbing his set of parchments and you did so also.

severus had known you were claustrophobic, you always marked in the same corner of the staffroom, perhaps it was the fact that the room was a little more occupied than usual.