xxvii. you are love

"UNFINISHED BUSINESS."

***

cheers of the students could be heard and echoed through the great hall as dumbledore announced the annual house balls. this was a special event for staff and students alike, it was the school's way of showing their appreciation to the hogwarts houses.

you looked over to the potions professor who had kept the same face, with a hint of distain. you had known severus wasn't one for these massive events and he couldn't care less in fact, but when he looked over to you, you gave yourself the chance to shoot a small smile at him.

he turned away.

classes had been cancelled due to the preparations for the balls, whilst you had been eager to let your students prepare for such an event, severus had let his students do so, but with that same distain from earlier.

you looked around to see the students left and right beaming over the events unfolding before them.

you were content with this, but something felt off.

there was a uncalled discomfort in you.

you shook it off as you eventually made your way to severus' class. you had a free period luckily so you were quick to arrive at severus' class.

"miss l/n, i'm glad you've arrived." severus said, you didn't notice but there was a tinge of shock in his tone.

regrettably he had doubt you'd not turn up but seeing you did made him at least content that you tolerated his company.

"severus...the class is a little more open than usual." you said, noticing how all the desks were all moved around so that there was more space.

"unfortunately i had been given the task of teaching my fellow slytherins the proper etiquette." he said.

"you...teaching slytherins how to dance?" you asked with a brow raised.

severus rolled his eyes and nodded.

"regrettably so, however...will you be attending the house balls?" severus asked.

the question lingered all over your mind.

you shook your head. "i won't be attending unfortunately. its not my thing." you answered.

severus was taken aback at your response, this was quite the big event and seeing a teacher not attending was quite rare.

"miss l/n, you do know this a mandatory event. the teachers and students alike will be attending such a thing, at hogwarts we don't exclude anyone." severus said.

you frowned to yourself. you couldn't get out of this one.

"so will you be attending?" he asked again.

you bit your lip, uncertain of your answer. "i can't promise anything but i'll try to be here." you answered.

severus let out a small hum. "good, so you'll be happy to be my assistant to teach my students ball etiquette?" he asked.

you nodded hesitantly.

groups of slytherin students had arrived in the room, how were you going to do this without messing up was completely beyond you. you knew by this point there was no going back now.

as severus had gone through the instructions, you looked at him attentively. there was something about him that drew you to him, like a sort of gravity that you couldn't describe. it seemed like whenever you were in need of something you always found him there, you weren't sure as to whether this was a joke set up by someone but you always brushed it off.