xii. you deserve this

"ALONE"

***

"slytherin!" the sorting hat announced.

rather than being welcomed by ruptorous applause like you expected, the applause you received was rather scattered. this wasn't usual was it? you got up from the front and looked over to the teachers, more so your head of house who nodded, ushering you to the slytherin table. rather than being met with welcomes and handshakes from your fellow house mates, you were met with sneers and grimaces.

this really was rather unusual. you looked at the next few students who had been sorted into the respective houses, they all cheered and screamed, greeting the new additions. even some slytherins also did the same.

was it all because of who you were?

"just you wait l/n, ugh even uttering your last name makes me want to wash my mouth out with soap." a first year said to you.

you frowned to yourself, twiddling at your sleeves. this was going to be a long day, or rather a long seven years.

you didn't ask to have the fate your family had, your family were all death-eaters. all of them swore their allegiance to lord voldemort and nobody else. you were the only one at such a young age to see past voldemort's bribes.

your brother had also attended hogwarts but his reputation of course, proceeded him in the worst way. he was the rebellious prankster, always defying the teachers and had failed during his time at hogwarts. he was the one who made hogwarts a living hell, well that was you heard. you didn't know much of his whereabouts, the last piece of news you heard of him was that he was sent away to azkaban.

you listened attentively to all the new information that was handed to you. the day sought to its end, you headed to your dorm. decorating it to your own preferences, you were given a frame of your family to at least have some remnants of your family still with you, but you didn't want that. you took the picture out and threw it in the bin. leaving it empty, up to the interpretations of your little mind.

you left the dorm once you finished decorating, you entered the slytherin common room and all eyes were on you. your hair hid your scared expression as you grabbed a book to read and as you went to take a seat with your fellow housemates, they shot up and fled the area. like you admitted, this was going to be a long seven years.

***

the days had begun to mould into one, wake up, get ready, go to the great hall, get mocked for your family name, go to your lessons, get bullied by your peers and people from your own house, go back to your dorm room and go to sleep. those were what your days consisted of. today, you happened to have potions. whilst your favourite class, it had to be the one where you got mocked for.

the door slammed open and there stood your head of house, or rather your potions professor.

"there will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. as such, i don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. however, for those select few who possess the predisposition." he lectured, his attention shifted to the few slytherins that were in the room, some looked up with pride but you looked away, writing notes to avoid his intense glare.

"i can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. i can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death... then again, maybe some of you have come to hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not pay attention." he said bluntly, all eyes were on you, his cloak gracefully flew besides him.