xiii. the spelling rules

"SPELL CASTING"

***

you couldn't remember the last time you put your defence skills to good use, as a fellow professor at hogwarts you hadn't done so in quite some time. it was expected of witches and wizards of all sorts to be able to defend themselves in the worst of times.

you were in the library, but you were there after hours when in reality you should have been patrolling the halls for meddling students. you managed to sneak into the library and picked out a few books on boggarts and dementors. you didn't learn about these things back your time so you assumed this was a curriculum change.

suddenly a blaring light flashed in your face, you squinted and tried to get a glimpse of who it was and it was your fellow colleague, severus snape.

"y/n? i wasn't expecting you to be in the premises at...1 in the morning." severus said, as he looked up at the clock.

"i couldn't sleep. there were other things that piqued my interest." you answered.

you had known severus for a very long time, he took over your charms classes back when you were at school. you hadn't seen severus in a while until you came back to teach the respective subject in the present time.

"you're still just as adamant as you were in your time." he said, you playfully pushed his wand away, getting up and gathering your things.

"you love me for it anyways." you said, winking at him playfully. severus took a glance at the books you took out, how they were all on boggarts and dementors.

"they weren't in my specification back in my time." you explained.

"so you've yet to handle a dementor, or a boggart for that matter." he asked. you simply shook your head.

he nodded slowly at the new information that proceeded before him, "come with me." he said.

you followed him, with your books in your hand fumbling slightly and arrived at the empty defence class.

"this isn't your classroom." you pointed.

"you're right, this isn't my class. this is supposed to be gilderoy's class." he said, rolling his eyes at the amount of photos of him that were placed all over the class.

you grabbed your wand and removed all the pictures in a flash. "i see you cannot stand the fool either." he said, you nodded.

"right...what's all this about and why have you brought a large wardrobe?" you asked. severus summoned what looked like a wardrobe, tilting your head at the large object.

"its not a wardrobe silly girl!" severus said, ruffling your hair.

"this is actually a..."

"its actually a wardrobe isn't it?" you said. you giggled as you watched severus attempt to defend himself over what the thing was.

"you wanted to learn about boggarts and dementors did you not?" he said.

"alright alright i'll keep my mouth shut for the next 10 minutes." you mumbled.

severus then explained to you what the dementors were and how you could defend yourself from them, you learnt of your patronus. you knew that your patronus was a dove but you never saw it catch form. perhaps that was the chance you could see it.

he then conjured his up, it was a blue doe that glided across the classroom.

"that is the patronus. the gestures pretty simple, i take this won't be too difficult." he said. you quickly glance at the book that laid on your table before getting your wand and following the instructions that laid before you.