xi. childhood's end

"OLD FRIENDS"

***

"good evening students. it is a pleasure to have you all back for another year at hogwarts." professor mcgonagall announced, he had gone on with his usual announcements and new things that had been introduced.

"we do have new teachers here, so we do hope to welcome them in the usual hogwarts fashion. firstly, our new teacher here for defence against the dark arts." she said.

severus rolled his eyes, pretending to applaud himself. every year, he applied for this job. he was the only one in the role that ticked all the boxes but it failed him every single time. this year he tried again to nobody's surprise. the order could have just handed him the job at this point, but to no avail.

"please welcome or new teacher, professor y/n l/n." she announced, severus' brows furrowed for a moment upon hearing your last name.

a wave of familiarity brushed against the potions master.

"hi everybody, thank you for the kind introduction professor mcgonagall. i really look forward to teaching the new generations of wizards and witches alike." you said, grinning before the students applauded you.

y/n l/n?

why did that ring a bell?

once the formalities and celebrations were over, you were about to leave until you were stopped by someone.

"i presume we haven't met?" he asked.

"oh...no we haven't, professor y/n l/n...defence against the dark arts." you introduced.

"severus snape. potions master." he said.

"potions master huh? you must be kept high in regard if you're a master." you said.

"just an alias miss l/n." he admitted.

"right, its nice to meet you. i should be heading back to my class, lessons to plan." you gestured to the door.

"i shouldn't keep you then." he said. you smiled kindly before walking off.

"actually, would you like it if i walked with you. a new teacher shouldn't get themselves lost." he offered. you thought about it for a moment before nodding at his offer.

on the outside, severus was calm but on the inside his realizations had been seeping through like a waterfall.

he had known you, he knew you from before but from where was the question. he guided you through the halls of hogwarts, showing you where all your important locations were. even stopping by to show you some history of hogwarts.

you stopped by a frame of three people, some that you didn't recognize.

"who are they?" you asked, you both stopped by the photo.

"ah...those used to be students here at hogwarts, i happened to teach them. harry potter, hermione granger and ron weasley. the golden trio we all called them." he answered.

"what happened to them?" you asked again.

"you know, they all became successful wizards, like any other student here did." he answered.

looking back at the frame, it was very bittersweet. knowing that years earlier they had fought with and against him. he rubbed his neck discreetly, before you both continued to walk. showing you around before stopping at your classroom.

"thanks for showing me around and taking me back to my class." you said.

"its not a problem, i look forward to working with you." he said.