iii. floral and fading

"PUMPKIN CARVING"

***

"hey severus! look what i have!" you called from the kitchen, putting two pumpkins on the kitchen table. severus entered the small kitchen and saw the two overgrown pumpkins that sat on the table.

"did you plant those my sweet?" he asked. you nodded, that hint of pride in you.

"all by myself." you said, pointing at the pumpkin patch at the corner of the garden. severus chuckled to himself, approaching you and wrapping his arm around yours and kissing your head.

"i'm very proud of you y/n, my little gardener." severus said, in all honesty severus had always been quite envious of your green fingers. you would always gift him with plants or flowers that you had picked out.

anything you had created was severus' favourite thing. his potions lab was often decorated with the plants you sowed, he remembered it needed some decoration anyways and he couldn't decide.

it started off with a succulent plant, then a cactus and next thing you know, there were plants dangling from the ceilings of his potions. it was almost like a jungle in there. reminiscent of your hogwarts days, when you first left him plants; and the last time you saw him at hogwarts. you warmed you that you spent your autumn times with him

***

it started in second year. he had paid more attention to you in his potions class, granted you were a ravenclaw but your heart was slytherin, that was something he could guarantee. you found him at his desk, in his class. marking away at the countless essays that had been piled on. in your hand was a flower pot and you were about to knock on the door of his class. you had speculated that his favourite flower was lilies. you heard this rumour amongst teachers, and you wanted to see if that rumour was true.

you had asked professor sprout if you could plant some muggle flowers. she was at first shocked at the thought but you explained to her the concept of studying muggle plants and how that does very well. professor sprout was initially hesitant but had let you do so, she had a particular liking to you.

every morning before breakfast, you would help professor sprout with her plants, both magical and muggle of course.

"professor sprout, do you think professor snape likes flowers?" you asked.

"well...i always say that everyone needs a flower in their life." she answered. "but now that you mention it, i'm not so sure." she added.

"i've heard his favourite flowers are lilies, is it true?" you asked. professor sprout laughed.

"where did you hear that from dear?" she said.

"professor lupin." you answered.

"well, i won't deny a single thing but there's no harm in trying." she said.

you nodded and continued to water her plants. "ah speaking of lilies, they've grown quite well. would you like to pot them?" professor sprout offered. you nodded, handing her the soil and letting her pot the flowers.

"there we go, one pot of lillies." she said once she finished, handing you the flower pot. you thanked her for doing such a thing and she let you go back inside, considering that breakfast was about to begin.

and this was where you were, at the front door of professor snape's class. you knocked on the door, once told to enter from the other side you opened the door. closing it behind you and approached him.