xx. broken pieces shine

"NIGHT TERRORS"

***

"why doesn't the wand work for me?" voldemort asked, his tone calm but stern

"you have performed extraordinary magic with this wand, my lord. in the last few hours alone-"

"no! i am extraordinary! but the wand resists me!" voldemort cut him off, looking at the wand and eventually putting it by his side.

severus' attention was on voldemort but the movements of nagini, his snake made him apprehensive as the snake circled the two wizards.

"there is no wand more powerful. ollivander himself said it. tonight, when the boy comes to you, it will not fail you, i am sure. it answers to you...and you only." severus admitted.

"does it?" voldemort ask, his face widening at the thought of severus' wand in his grasp.

voldemort holds the wand to the wavering light again, his eyes on severus.

"my lord?" he mumbled, a small smirk appearing to his face.

"the wand. does it truly answer to me?" he asked.

severus said nothing. for a moment, he and voldemort stood perfectly still, the two faces in the darkness, the only sound heard between them is the lapping of the lake.

you were hiding, you studied your husband's face. he was calm, composed. you looked at his hands, concealed and behind his back.

they twitched with tension, you wanted nothing more than to kill voldemort right there and then, and run off with your husband, somewhere far far away.

"you're a clever man, severus. surely you must know." voldemort said, attempting to edge him on about whether the wand belonged to him.

severus didn't respond, his gaze shifted to nagini, still skimming slowly over the floor.

"where, severus? where does its loyalty lie?" voldemort kept his focus on severus, severus looked away from the snake, feeling his long and painful stare at him.

"with you, of course, my lord." he said.

voldemort's glare not leaving him until he finally said.

"the elder wand cannot serve me properly, severus, because i am not its true master. the elder wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner. ollivander was quite explicit about that. you killed dumbledore, severus. while you live, the elder wand cannot be truly mine."

severus' fingers twitching behind his back, getting more than apprehensive at the scene.

"kill him, just do it...please." you murmur, your fists clenching as the tension became more and more unbearable.

"my lord-"

"you have been a good and faithful servant, severus. but only i can live forever..." voldemort dragged, raising his want and pointing it at your husband's throat.

how dare he even come close to him.

voldemort swept his arm away, turning the wand on.

"nagini...kill!" voldemort shrieked,

the snake struck at your husband, your screams loud. causing quite the distraction.

"nagini! come!" voldemort swept from the room, toward the lake's quivering darkness, the giant snake slithering after.