Chapter 23: Back On Track

ابدأ من البداية

My stomach let out a whining whale sound, indicating that it needed to be fed. Keeping my thoughts aside for some time, I kept the dress on my bed and jogged down the stairs.

To my surprise, I found Agent Tom and Daddy Bear sitting there, laughing with mom and dad.

I slowed down as I walked towards the room where they all were. I observed that they were celebrating something.

But what?

Mom was the first one to notice me. Her eyes that had humour before, turned soft as she asked me a silent question.

She was asking if I was okay. I gave her a slight nod and a weak smile. She gave me a loving smile in return.

That is when Agent Tom saw me standing there.

"Ali!!" She exclaimed in excitement.

I decided to keep my glum thoughts aside for some time. They were clearly happy about something and who was I to take that away?

"Hey Sarah. What's up?"

"Hey honey," dad acknowledged and I smiled in return.

"So, what's the excitement about?" I asked.

"It's just that we got really good jobs and we are back on track," Daddy Bear spoke.

I felt confused for a second before understanding dawned upon me. They were talking about their new jobs. I vaguely remember mom and dad telling me something about the company in which they worked in, shutting down and resulting in the loss of jobs for many.

"Oh, that's great. I'm happy for you guys," I said, meaning what I said. I really was glad for them.

"Thanks darling, but it's all because of Aaron, speaking of who, did you guys fight or something? He was not ready to come here at all," she said.

Guilt did come creeping up but that wasn't that what had me frozen.

"What did you say about Aaron getting you the job?"

"Oh, that. It's just that he had been going to some high class business parties for the past weekend and the one before. That is where he went with that squeaky voices girlfriend for his. Apparently her dad had organised them or something. Why?"

"I-uh, I gotta go." I said and shut the door before sliding down the wall, with my eyes wide like saucers and disbelief absorbing my mind.

Candy had been missing the movie nights to help his parents. He wanted ten to get the perfect job.

And what did I do?

I yelled at him, without letting him explain anything. I hurt him more by actually being the worst best friend in the history of best friends.

Ashamed would be an understatement of what I felt right now. Guilt came doubling and hit me ten times harder than before.

What had I done?

I had let go of the person, most important to me.

I didn't even realise that I was crying until I tasted salt in my mouth.

I had to call him and let him know that I was stupid and driven by my emotions.

How could I let go of the person who came in barging through the girls washroom when the school laughed at me.

I scrambled up the stairs and reached my room. I looked around for my phone but I couldn't catch a glimpse of it. I went to my bed and turned the sheets away when the little black device finally tumbled onto the bed.