Chapter 18 (Anthony)

Start from the beginning

Giana and I were the first to get there, so I was just sitting in the waiting room bouncing my leg with stress. The room is painted a light shade of yellow, but if they were trying for cheery they ain't getting that today. Not from us.

         Giana was quiet. She held her belly and stared at a spot on the wall. Beside it was a framed photograph of two painted cats in what looked to be the streets of Naples or something. There was a row of chairs in front of me and a row that's back to back with the chairs we're in.

I kept feeling eyes on me and every time I glanced up I'd catch gazes with the front desk girl. She's cute, but now just isn't the time to flirt, so I let her stares go unanswered by my attention. I kept swiping a hand down my face. 

I don't really know what to do with myself right now.

        Both Giana and I jolted when we heard the small ding of the front door opening. They've got a little bell above it that alerts the staff that someone just walked in. We both twisted in our chair to look and sure enough it was Dom and Ale.

They looked a little surprised to see me here, but they also looked stressed as fuck. I don't blame them. We had the most awkward stare off until we all snapped out of it and they walked closer to us. Well, to her.

"You good?" Dom nodded his head in my cousin's direction. 

"As good as I'm gonna be in a situation like this" she huffed. Dom ran a hand down his stubbled face and his hair is even darker than mine. Yup, he's stressed. I was just doing the same thing.

        Alessandro had a bouncing knee. Dom sat across from Giana with a set jaw and angry eyes. He looked rigid and uncomfortable. I thought he'd call me out for being here, but it's obvious why I would be. She obviously asked for support and if Dom knows anything he should know how her family reacted to what they did and the outcome of that act.

Thank god we didn't linger in the awkwardness for too long because the doctor ended up walking out to greet all of us. 

The old man was short with grayed hair combed over to cover his receding hairline, but his eyebrows were still the dark color the rest of his hair used to be. He was in a white coat and held a clipboard.

Is that where the answer is? Right there in front of us?

        "Please, come in. I'm Dr. Greco for those of you who don't know" he gave a general nod to all of us, but guided Giana specifically as we followed along. I heard him quietly asking her how she was feeling and other things of that nature. I think this is her normal doctor, so I'm sure he knows her enough.

We were led to an office type room. I guess it's more of a consultation room. There is a desk and a chair across from it, but further into the turn of the room there is a sofa and the doctors chair across. 

That's where he wanted to conduct this. So we could all sit if we wish. To have space to breathe too. This room is feeling a little small already.

        With all this goddamn stress today I'm thinking I might visit the fights tonight. I could use an outlet for all this restlessness when I give a poor sap a good pounding. They bet good money on me. I'm a highly sought after fighter, even if I do run the operation.

        "Okay," Dr. Greco began once he shut the office door for our own privacy. But before he could continue he was interrupted. The nurse let off two quick knocks and popped right in. "Sorry, we got one more" I heard the nurse say, but I didn't understand what she meant until she stepped out of the way.

Oh fuck me. If I thought this was awkward before, this is tortuous now. Why? Why, why?

When the nurse stepped aside I could see Mia rounding her to come into the room. Dom hopped to his feet from where he'd just settled on the far end of the sofa with tight fists in his lap.