Chapter 42 - Normalcy

Start from the beginning

"He's stronger now." Ruben said.

"He's just awakened, that's all-..."

"No." Ruben shook his head, "I mean he is stronger. He is one of the mages with a permanent red eye. He has more power than he can suppress. We need to be careful of him or try turning him to our side as soon as possible."

"It will be very hard." Levi said, "He is loyal to the Delafontaine."

"In love with him, is he not? I saw their interaction."

"Love is powerful." Levi found himself saying before looking back at his uncle, "It managed to reduce the sacrifice needed to half, if you recall. It will keep him strong for him, I have seen them grow closer over the years. He wouldn't betray him. You can try if you want, but I tell you, you won't be able to make him turn sides."

"I never knew you to be sentimental." Ruben said, disapproval in his eyes, "But in this case, we will have to get rid of him. Doesn't mean I won't try to get him on our side first."

"Then I wish you luck-..." Levi said as he turned around to leave.

"Where to? Won't you help me?" Ruben asked.

"I only have a few months of strength before he is reborn." Levi said over his shoulder, "Then I will be bedridden for a few years before I am able to do anything productive. So, I will make damn sure to use the time I have. But for now, I will go visit my beloved's grave."

"Emotions will get you in trouble, Levi." Ruben said quietly once Levi left, shaking his head.

***

Lorena pulled the shawl tighter around her as she made her way to the kitchen. It was the middle of the night, and she regretted not getting more water before she slept. She paused when her eyes caught on a flicker under the library door. A small glimpse of light that had her walk towards it instead, wondering who'd be up so late and after such a long day. She opened the door quietly before peering inside, frowning when she saw the back of Noah's head over the couch where he was seated. She went up to him, walked around the couch to his other side only to see the glister of tears down his cheeks. He wiped it away before pulling his legs up further when he noticed her as she came and sat by his side.

"Brother why aren't you in bed?"

Noah's eyes returned to the window, the lake shining under the moonlight. He then muttered, "I couldn't... not in that room. He is everywhere there. Sleeping in it alone is..." he trailed off, her hand touching his blanketed leg when he did.

"What if I slept beside you?" Lorena suggested.

Noah shook his head slowly, not meeting her eyes as he said, "His smell lingers in the sheets... his sketches are all over the wall, his clothes are tossed all around. The moment I walked in there, I felt as if he'd walk in right behind me, or I'd find him in the bathroom eyeing his jaw for a beard that wasn't there. It just... hurts too much."

"Then come sleep in mine." Lorena said, "Better than the couch." He looked at her for a long moment before nodding, wiping his eyes again. "Alright. Just let me get some water. Tomorrow we will figure this out." She left to grab a jug of water before taking his hand in her own, walking together to her room before he settled in the bed beside her, and no longer than a few moments after did she wrap an arm around him, holding him before his tears started trailing down his cheeks again. But it was as if the exhaustion in him was waiting for his head to touch a pillow. He was too tired. Too hurt to do anything but give in the slumber that claimed him.

Lorena heard scratching on the door, making her get up to open it, only for Shadow to slip in, curling beside Noah before she got a chance to protest. She sighed, going back to bed, holding him again before she slept herself. Wanting to make sure he knew that she was there.