Chapter 3 - Haunting Past

CHAPTER 3: HAUNTING PAST 

Liam spent the entire night watching over Edmur, who’d fell into a vision after another. At some point, the healer had feared the man’s heart would stop, or permanent damage would be caused. He finally turned to Tobias who seemed on the verge of breaking as he watched Edmur with wide eyes.

He sighed as he thought of what he could do that might help. He knew a surge of electricity usually had a heart return to its regular beat. He started thinking more about it, about what might help as he stared at Edmur again, a frown caressing his eyebrows when he noticed that his chest stopped moving. He got up, placing a hand on Edmur’s chest before cursing when he realized there was no heartbeat. He started on a spell that made Edmur’s heart beat again.

“What’s happening?” Tobias asked, getting to his feet from where he sat on the couch in the room, the one furthest from the bed, fearing what might happen to Edmur.

“His heart stopped beating.” Liam said, another curse escaping his lips as he saw the blood tears return, falling down the corners of the closed eyes of the seer.

“Do something…” Tobias mumbled, “Liam, you must do something.” Tobias insisted, fear in his eyes.

“What do you think I am doing?” Liam asked heatedly, his own heart accelerating when Edmur’s heart stopped beating again, making him cast the spell again. “Tobias, get me Lorena or Wyatt.” Liam said, but Tobias didn’t move, not even acknowledged Liam’s words. “Tobias!” Liam yelled, “Tobias, listen to me!”

“What’s going on? Why are you yelling?” Lazarus asked, entering the room having heard their voices. He was coming to check on Edmur after his son told him what happened. He thought Edmur was doing better, hoped he was, as usually he recovered from it in a few hours. His eyes landed on Edmur, seeing the crimson streaking his cheeks before he turned to Liam, who seemed composed in comparison to Tobias.

“His vitals are in disarray.” Liam said, cursing as he placed a hand over Edmur’s chest, casting a spell to regulate his heartbeat before he muttered, “He was fine a moment ago.”

“Help him…” Tobias muttered, “Please, Liam… do something…”

“Tobias, wait outside.” Lazarus said, coming towards Liam.

“He was just talking to me a few hours ago… arguing with me… he was fine…” Tobias muttered, fear evident in his eyes as they never left Edmur, seeming to be dazed, overwhelmed by the events that were occurring. 

“Tobias!” Lazarus said firmly.

“He is immortal…” Tobias whispered, seeming to be reassuring himself of the fact, “He won’t die… he is immortal…”

“Shit…” Liam mumbled, looking frantic, “Shit, shit, shit…” he repeated, stopping his spell before ripping Edmur’s shirt off.

“Liam, what do you need?” Lazarus asked.

“His heart stopped.” He told him, “My magic is not working. It’s not restarting.”

“No…” Tobias mumbled, taking a step back.

Liam placed both is palms over Edmur’s chest before starting to pushing them down, counting as he did so before he said, “Get Lorena. Tell her I need the emergency kit I have in the infirmary.”

Lazarus nodded, rushing out of the room to find his daughter. She had been training to be Liam’s assistant. He had told them that sometimes he’d need someone to help him with his healing, and she, as well as Wyatt both said they would assist him when needed.