Dad Who?

In life, there are many different things to look forward to such as sleepovers with your friends, and seeing family after a long time; but sadly there are also bad things in life that we dread, and these things consist of betrayal of people we trust and death of someone close to us. 

When I was a 6th grader I loved mysteries and watching detective shows, and I would always ask my mom questions such as “what are you hiding from me mom?” and she sometimes would look at me for a split second like she might actually have something to hide but me being a kid I always shook it off.
As my 6th-grade year passed I started watching more detective shows and got more and more curious about my mom’s life before I was born, which would have been her first marriage and how it all ended and why. Whenever I asked her about how her marriage ended she would close off from me and say stuff like “oh Honey we just grew apart”. I knew that was a reasonable answer but a part of me felt like there was something more, so I just kept asking until on one car ride she finally gave in.“ Well,” she said with a sigh of defeat “after your older brother had grown up some I had realized that I wanted another baby, and I told your “dad” but he said that he didn’t want anymore so he went to the doctor and got the surgery to enable him from having children.” She stopped long enough for me to hear myself exhale a breath that I didn’t realize I was holding. I fought the tears behind my eyes willing them not to fall. My little sister 9 at the time was sitting next to me in the backseat of our car; she looked at me and no matter how hard I tried to keep it in she saw my pain. “ Mom,” she pleaded, “ I think that’s enough.” “No,” I said hearing my voice break “ So wh..what are you saying exactly?” 

“Well,” my mom continued cautiously “ I was really mad at him for getting the surgery and I still wanted a baby, honey you have to understand I wanted you so so much.” I could hear her pain and how she was afraid, but of what I couldn’t tell.” I knew that she didn’t tell me this to hurt me, because I asked her, no I force her to tell me.