Chapter 36 - Surprises

Start from the beginning

He asked Noah quietly, only for his ears, "How horrible do I look right now?"

Noah leaned down, his lips to Lucius's ears as he said, "You look so beautiful."

"You could've told me. I would've been more presentable for a party."

"That would've defeated the entire surprise." Noah laughed as he let his arms drop, Lorena stepping in to hug him, everyone taking turns in wishing him a happy birthday. Noah wrapped an arm around his shoulders when everyone was done, kissing his temple before muttering, "A year to go."

"Can't wait." Lucius said with a chuckle.

"So who is ready for some cake?" Blayth exclaimed, making everyone laugh, knowing that he was dying to eat from it.

"Don't you dare!" Lucius said.

"It is too big for only you!" Blayth protested.

"I get to cut it first!" Lucius yelled at him, going over to the table before grabbing the knife, cutting a slice then turned to Blayth, "And I get the first taste too."

"Too bad." Blayth said, reaching over and dipping his finger into a part of the cake before sticking it in his mouth.

Lucius's eye twitched before he brought the knife close to Blayth's face, making him gulp. "What did I just say?"

Blayth looked from the large knife, to Lucius as he said, "Sorry, your highness...?"

"Noah!" Lucius looked over at him as he came over, taking the knife from him.

"No fighting. We are celebrating and having fun tonight. And stop threatening to cut everyone." Noah scolded, taking a seat and pulling Lucius down in to his lap.

"I will get you for this, Blayth." Lucius threatened.

"I guess I am sleeping with a dagger for the next few nights." Blayth said with a chuckle.

"Just let me kill him. Everything will be so much better if I just slit his throat." Lucius said mincingly.

"I know that not sleeping for two nights made you grumpy, but stop being so mean." Noah said warningly, "Now, since it's your birthday, how about you make a wish?"

Lucius forgot about the argument, a smile twisting his lips as he turned to Noah saying, "One more year."

Noah let out a breath of a laugh as he said, "Really? Not for that beard you've been talking about?"

"Just a little scruff. I don't need much. But what I really want is for 21 to come around." Lucius chuckled, "Lazarus, the cake is really beautiful. Especially the strawberries." He said with a smile to him before glancing back at the chocolate cake covered in strawberries. "Thank you."

"You are very much welcome, son." Lazarus said.

"Have a great night then." Tobias said, turning to the rest to usher them out.

"Where are you going? What about dinner?" Lucius asked.

"We already ate." Lazarus said, "Helped Noah make you a special dinner, so enjoy it." Lazarus winked.

"That's too bad. It would have been fun to have dinner with everyone tonight." Lucius said with a soft smile as he got off of Noah's lap, "Thank you all. It really was a surprise."

"We will pray you grow that beard too." Lorena teased as she walked out.

Lucius glared at Noah who shrugged, asking, "What?"

"I'll take care of you later." Lucius threatened. Everyone left, Lazarus giving him another hug before he too left them alone. Noah raised his hand, all the lights turning off in the dining room, being lit only by the candles over the table and on the counter across the dining room in the kitchen.