The Cold and The Clock (Part 2)

Olga

The family moved to the Maple Room to speak about Maria's condition. Doctor Botkin had moved down to speak with us so Doctor Gedroits would stay with Maria. Vladimir was kept in Maria's room, encouraged to stay with his wife.

"Doctor Botkin, tell them what you found!" I crossed my arms.

Doctor Botkin exhaled. "Maria Nikolaevna's blood pressure is too low and she's having hallucinations. When I was up there with her just a few moments ago, she asked if she was still sick from the measles. Maria Nikolaevna has not been sick with the measles in seven-years."

"This is a bit ridiculous, don't you think?" Dmitri groaned. "I mean, I am concerned for cousin Maria. But she is one-month early, and is in distress from birth. Should we just wait until the baby is born before jumping to conclusions? I was two-months too early and I turned out alright."

"Yes, and you lost your mother because of it." Paul Alexandrovich mumbled. Dmitri could hear and turned his attention toward him.

"I am so done. Just tell me what the next step is." Mama demanded.

"If I am being truly honest, your majesty...I do not know. I have never had to deal with this." Doctor Botkin looked down.

"You don't know? You are a doctor! You have to know!"

"I believe that as long as Maria Nikolaevna keeps resting and drinking water, then she shall be alright. Could someone please give me the time?"

"10:45." Igor softly spoke.

"She is moving along farther than other first-time mothers. I believe the baby will now come around 14:00, but I am also unsure. Perhaps we should tell Prince Paley-"

I gasped. "No, no, no! We will not tell Vladimir! He does not need to know that Maria is in a bad condition now! If we tell him, then he may start to panic. And if Maria is going to be alright, then there is no point in mentioning anything. The baby will come, the baby will be baptized here in Russia, and then they will be on their merry way back to France."

"I do not like secrets or lying, but Olenka is right. If Maria is going to be fine anyway, then Vladimir can be kept in the dark about this one. Please." Tatiana said through tears. The room fell silent as if I could hear a pin drop. Doctor Botkin did not mention anything else and just walked out of the room. I think we were all worried about the same thing.

Was Maria really going to be alright?

We all spent the next hour going into her room and telling stories. Tatiana, Anastasia, and I sang her favorite song for her. Maria giggled and loved it very much. And then we put on a small skit from our favorite part in "Little Women", an American book we admired. Dmitri and Igor talked about some old memories with her and tried to make her laugh as much as possible. Poor Vladimir, who seemed oblivious.

But then at exactly 11:53, Maria went into the last stages of labor that would last for a few hours. I have never seen her in so much. It was unbearable to watch how she tossed and turned.

"The pain! The pain! Make it stop! Make it stop!" Maria screamed on the top of her lungs.

"Please, is this normal?" Vladimir looked up at me, with tears in his eyes.

"...yes. It is. With your permission, we could give Maria a little chloroform, which would help the pain."

"Of course you have my permission."

Doctor Botkin then put a little chloroform on a rag. He held it up to Maria's nose, and then she started to unwind and calm down. I sighed in relief along with the others in the room.