The Mansion

Olga

The honeymoon was absolutely amazing. It was honestly the best three-days of my entire life. And now, it was time to settle in our new home. There was a mansion Igor and I bought just outside of Petrograd, away from the city and hidden in the forest. I had always wanted to live in the countryside, and this was a dream come true.

Our car pulled up in front of the mansion after traveling on the dirt-path for awhile. My footman helped me out of the car. I absolutely gasped at the sight. The outside was gray-stone with dark-brown double-front doors. For the first time in my life, I truly had something that belonged to me.

"So what do you think? Do you love it?" Igor asked and walked around to me.

I gasped. "Oh, it's beautiful! I understand why you wanted to keep it a surprise! What does it look like on the inside?"

Igor swiftly took my hand. "Find out for yourself, my dear. This is our home."

I giggled and quickly started to jog towards the doors. I threw the doors open myself and I walked in. On the inside, there was gold outlining on the walls and white-colored paint. The floors were dark-brown wood with a red rug that was in front of the doors. There was also a crystal chandelier that hung over us.

"May I take your coats, your highnesses?" The butler walked up and asked us.

"Oh yes, thank you. And it's just Olga Nikolaevna, thank you." I smiled and unbuttoned my coat. I handed it to the butler. The butler was looking at Igor, just carefully waiting to be corrected by him. Igor handed the butler his coat too.

"Um, I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about the titles. I shall use my courtesy title." Igor nodded. The butler nodded back.

"Very well, sir. If that is what you wish." The butler than walked away, I'm guessing to a coat closet to hang up our coats. Igor grabbed my hand again with a large grin.

"Come on, I'll show you our sitting room." Igor said and tugged on my arm. We walked up the stairs that were also made out of the dark-wood from the floors. Victorian paintings were on the walls in the hallways and plants were also around. Igor pulled me into a room behind two white-doors. There was a beige-carpet on the floor and white sofa with beautiful prints. The walls were a mint-green and the fireplace was going. A couple bookshelves and desks.

"Igor-" Suddenly, he threw his hands on over my eyes. I laughed at him as he carefully guided me into the room.

"I haven't hung it up yet. We can hang it over the fire place."

"Hang what over the fireplace?" I laughed. After turning once to face something. He slowly removed his hands from my eyes. There was a large picture in a golden frame. It was my favorite photo from Igor and I's wedding photos. We were standing up and face the camera. We had week smiled but our arms were wrapped around each other and holding hands with our our loose hands. I didn't usually like how I looked in photos...but this one was especially charming.

I felt Igor's arms wrap around my waist from behind me and his chin rest on my shoulder. "It just big enough to hang above the fireplace. I adore this photo."

"I, as well. There's something so beautiful about it."

"I agree. And when the children come and we do a family portrait, we can hang that one up instead. I want to look at our family, always."

I smiled to myself. "And what if we end up like my parents and have several girls and have the fear of no having no boys?"

"Well, then I guess I'll have to start wearing a dress and tiaras and learning how to have tea parties if we're gonna have a lot of girls. I want to fit in."

I chuckled. "My goodness, you're insane."

"I love you, too." Igor whispered and let me go. I turned around to look at him. He bent down and kissed me. We slid our arms across each other and held each other intently as we passionately kissed.

This was a new start for us. Finally having a home that I could call my own was amazing. There was such a joyful feeling about actually owning a house. And then having a husband like Igor was absolutely what made our house a home.