:: He Saw You ::

Friday morning I got into my school uniform. I hid my dark circles away with foundation, I did my make-up and hair to perfection. I grabbed my small purse before heading downstairs. My mom and dad were dressed formally as they were coming with me.

We drove to the airport and got into our private jet to arrive at my school two hours later. We made our way down the stairs to go to the gym. The school halls were empty because everyone was streaming towards the gym. My parents took a seat in the front row next to Katy and I went up to the stage to take a seat.

"Good morning students of Maloy high." Principal Maloy started. "Everything you've been waiting for is finally here." The students cheered him on. "And now for the last speeches." He said before taking his seat.

Eli went forward and stood in front of the mic, since he's taller than our principal he had to adjust the mic first. He cleared his throat before running a hand over his blazer.

"Good morning students of Maloy high. My fellow students, classmates, friends and family, it is a pleasure to have you here today. Thank you to my beautiful girlfriend, Kesha, your presence means the world to me." He said and everyone clapped their hands, I couldn't help but smile.

"I have shared my vision for this school with you and hopefully that is enough for you to vote for me. Just like everyone else I want to make this school the best one there could be. And so I wanted to share a small video to present a chip of my gratitude to you." Eli said.

A video appeared on the screen, pictures of me and him, and his chess club and a lot of other students flashed across the screen. I smiled broadly as I watched the video. My eyes brimmed with tears but I bit them back. I looked at Eli who was staring at the screen in front of him.

As the video stopped he smiled softly, "thank you, for watching, may the best candidate win." Eli said before taking his seat. I wearily stood up and went over to the mic to adjust it, once I was done I made eye contact with the audience.

"Good morning everyone." I greeted. "I'd like to thank you all for being here, a special thank you to my parents." I said with a sad smile, my mom blew air kisses at me.

"These past few days has made me realise before what life could really be like." I inhaled deeply. "I lost people that I didn't want to lose, I hurt people that didn't deserve it. And the worst part is that I almost lost myself." I finally exhaled.

"Eli's video just makes everything more clear. We lost sight of what was really important to us. And I want nothing more than to apologise to everyone I've hurt. And I hope this can be a learning curb to each and everyone here today. You always have to choose yourself, otherwise you'll lose sight of where you're going."

"Thank you for all the support and love you've shown me I appreciate it. Vote for the person you think will be the best leader, may the best candidate win." I said before winking at Eli, who gave me a broad smile.

The votes started and so they activated the meter. When it finally stopped it showed equal results.

The votes are tied which means that we both won the election, but to me it's more symbolic than anything else. It's a symbol of equality.

Eli and I walked toward each other and when he reached me he pulled me into a tight hug. I held onto him as tightly as I could. I missed him more than he knows. His hands rested on my shoulders as he pulled away from me.

"I'm sorry-" we both started and bursted out into laughter.

"Sorry for being such a dick and for calling you a feminine snake butt." Eli said before scrunching up his nose.

"Apology accepted. I'm sorry for letting this go so far. I was a shitty friend and I didn't mean the things I said." I said softly. "Did you really think I stole all your friends and your dreams?" I asked sadly and his jaw clenched.

"No. I was just trying to hurt you. You're our best friend now, but to me you're like the little sister I've always wanted. I love you kiddo." He said and I smiled at him with blurry eyes.

"I love you too. You're the closest thing I have to a brother since August left." I admitted.

"August is?" Eli asked with a frown on his face.

"I'll tell you as soon as we get out of here." I told him and he hugged me to his side. Principal Maloy walked up to us and told us that we would share the title of valedictorian, but I refused his offer. I told them that Eli should be the valedictorian without having to share the one thing he's always wanted.

After the election we all headed to the seaside to hold a small celebration. I was sitting at a table all by myself while I watched over the waters. I picked up a thick book and opened it where I stopped reading.

I noticed Emma taking a seat across from me. I placed the book on the table and placed my focus on her.

"I spoke to Jay." She announced softly.

"Oh." Was all I could say.

"He was heartbroken. In all the years I've known Jay, I've never seen him cry over anyone. He misses you." Emma stated bluntly.

"Then why did he say all those things to me?" I asked in confusion.

"Because he was hurt." She blurted out and I frowned at her.

"Why would he be hurt, things were great between us."

"He saw you."

"What do you mean he saw me?"

"He saw you with Moose at the bowling alley. Look I don't know what he saw but it really messed him up, he said that there was a reason why you kept it from him." Emma said and I was shocked out of my socks.

"He didn't see anything. I went there to let Moose know where we stood, I asked him to just be friends because I like Jay. I like him more than I've ever liked anyone before." I explained and Emma smiled at me.

"You really are a saint angelita." She said and I rolled my eyes at her.

"If you see him, tell him I'm sorry and that I'm ready. He'll know what I'm talking about." I told her and she nodded before standing up and hugging me from behind. I watched her walk away from me and into the restaurant. I picked my book up and continued to read.