"I swear to god Steven if you don't stop looking at that phone I'm going to put it in the screen basket" she says to him while taking a sip of her wine

"it's just we want to see your beautiful faces" Susanah added to the convosation "Can dinner be a screen free zone like the olden days?"

"Steven" Jeremiah says raising his hands slightly.

Steven ignored every word they said so Jeremiah snatched the phone out of his hand tossing it onto a basket right by the door.

"boom nailed it!" Jeremiah celebrated bringing his hands down showing off his muscles.

"alright we get it you have been working out" Steven says the Jeremiah as he sat back down onto his chair.

"You're just jealous because Jere has a better body that you" I say to an annoyed looking Steven

"Uh no it's all about the lean look now other wise you can't wear tailored suits" Steven replies back to my comment. making everyone laugh. He then turned to Conrad and asked him "When are you leaving for camp?"

A silence fell amongst everyone sitting at the table until Jeremiah speaks up "uh he quit football" It was silent again.

"wait really? you quit?" Steven asks. Conrad hums in response. "are you kidding? i would kill to play college ball"

Susanah pitches in "He can always change his mind"

Condrad looks straight at Susanah "I'm not going to change my mind" "I was just going to sit on the bench all season anyways"

My mum speeks to conrad "So if your not going to do football what are you going to do all summer?"

"Oh bro you can work at the club with me and Jere" Stevn says excitedly

"i'm not working at the club" Conrad says

"wait, you guys are working this summer?" belly asks the two boys

"Yeah i'm lifegrauding and Seven is working at the snack shop" Jeremiah says fist bumping Steven.

"Oh! girls i have a surprise for you" Susanah stells us getting up from her spot at the table and walking to a table off to the side, picking up two envelopes handing one to each of us.

"so this is why you had to stop at the country club?" My mum asks Sauanash who replies by nodding her head with a huge smile plastered on her face.

As me and belly open up our envelopes Steven asks "What is that?" stuttering over his words slightly.

I looked at the piece of card infront of me "I wrangled the girls an invitation to be a debutante" Susanah speaks.

"is that the thing when girls wear white dresses and curtsy?" Belly asks scrunching up her face.

"It's when a girl comes of age and is presented to society" Susanah answers her question "i know it sounds silly but i swear it's fun" she reassures "girls come from all over New England to cousins just to be apart of it you will make so many new friends"

"i still can't believe you are holding onto this archaic dream" My mum tells Sausanah standing up to leave the room

"No i used to be about finding a husband but now it's about networking." Susanah calls out to mum "They teach you leadership skills, like how to market yourself and it benefits charity"

My mum walks back in with a bottle in her hand sitting back down in her chair. The boys say that it's bullshit however Susanah speeks out

"It's when a girl has a coming out, it's a formal recognition she's reached maturity." She says

Steven laughs almost spitting his food out, belly and i scrunch our eyebrows while looking at him.

"i'm sorry mature?" he asks "these two mature? a couple months ago you had a cat funeral and made us all wear black" he says

"shut up Steven" Belly tells him

"I saw you crying in your room" i shot back at him

"wait, mochi died? sorry guys" Jeremiah says

"girls" Susanah sys making our heads snaps to look at her "don't you want to get all dressed up?"

"It's just not their thing" my mum says.

"What do you mean Maddison dresses up all the time for her dance competitions" Susanah says gesturing her hand towards me

"yeah well thats more leotards with short dresses and tutu's, wearing a massive dress isn't the same" i say looking back at my food.

"well you really good at dancing" She smiled at me "you came first in you solo and group dance for your competition" her comment making a smile appear on my lips

"wait you came first?" Jeremiah turned to me. I nod my head at him with a smile. "way to go" he celebrated hovering off his seat to give me a high five.

"I will think about it" i say to susanah with a smile

"yeah me too" Belly agreed with me.

a/n
Hey! sorry this is a really long chapter i didn't mean to do it this long i just got carried away but i really hope you enjoyed x