Ch. 27: Are you positive?

I sat on the roof overlooking Sydney. It was a beautiful city and I was excited to get out there and explore it more. However it wasn’t enough of a distraction to take my mind off what I said to Niall. I thought about calling Emily, but I didn’t want to ruin her time with Harry. So instead I pulled my phone out and dialed her mom.

“Hello?” Mary answered on the first ring

“Hi Mary, I was wondering…could I talk to you if you’re not busy?” I asked hesitantly

“Of course, dear! What is it? How is Australia, Emily says you all are having fun,”

“We are,”

“Why don’t you sound very cheerful then?”

“I’ve made a mistake,”

“Oh?”

“I accidently told Niall I love him,”

“Do you not really love him?”

“I do,”

“Then why on Earth was it an accident that you told him?”

“Because he doesn’t feel the same way. I just blurted it out, and he didn’t say anything. He was too shocked. I think I scared him. Mary, I think I just ruined the best thing that’s ever happened to me,” I said worried.

“He didn’t say anything?” she asked

“He opened his mouth and couldn’t say anything. I didn’t want to hear him say to me what I said to Calvin when he told me he loved me. I feel horrible. I feel new guilt about the whole Cal thing and I feel embarrassed about this situation now,”

          “Oh honey,” she said sympathetically, “Let him say what he needs to say to you. It could be good or it could be bad. It doesn’t sound like you stuck around long enough to find out. Don’t jump to conclusions,”

“But if he doesn’t feel the same way then the rest of my visit will be so awkward!”

“Only if you make it,”

I heard a heavy squeaky door open behind me and turned to see Niall cautiously walking towards me.

“I have to go,” I told her nervously

“Good luck, dear. Call if you need me,”

“Thanks, bye Mary,” and we hung up.

“Hi Suzan,” Niall said holding his hands behind his back.

“I um…I didn’t mean it. It just slipped out. I didn’t mean to run away or make things awkward…I’m sorry. I don’t know why I said it,”

“You didn’t mean it?” he asked confused

“No, I just spoke without thinking,” I replied

“It doesn’t seem like you don’t mean it,”

“How do you figure?” I asked nervously

“You got nervous enough to run away. You were on the phone with Emily’s mom. You must have meant something by it, if anything,”

          I didn’t say anything. I couldn’t. I didn’t want to lie anymore, but I didn’t want to tell the truth. How do I get out of this?

Niall walked a little closer to me and he pulled his hands out from behind his back. He held out the seashell I gave him before he left. It was still in perfect condition, and still as vibrant as a sunset.

“I hang onto this where ever I go. I keep it in a sock to protect it. It’s become my lucky charm,” he explained

I kept looking at him as he continued,