Ch. 17: Short but sweet

We turned the corner and stopped at the end of the small hallway next to the bathroom doors.
“I was wrong,” I said firmly
“About what?” he asked
“About everything. They way I handled things. I didn’t mean it when I said this was all a mistake. I’m sorry I took so long to come around to the idea of us. I’m sorry I let my insecurities get in the way. I’m sorry I let the magazine story bother me so much. The truth is that at first you just really scared me because I thought you were this big important somebody because you were famous. But you’re not a big important somebody because of your fame, you’re big and important because you’re amazing. You don’t let things get you down and you go after what you want. You find joy in life, and you see the good in people. Niall I really really really like you and I’m sorry I’ve been so damn stubborn about admitting that to you and myself. I’m sorry I’m telling you this two days before you leave, and I’m sorry you spent your break here with me and not with your family. Niall, I’m just sorry about everything…”

          He ran his long fingers through his blonde hair and said quietly, “You don’t have to apologize that I spent my break with you. It was my choice. I knew why you were pushing me away, and that’s why I didn’t let you. I don’t know if you realize that I kinda fell for you, and you might not understand why or how…but I did. I fell hard,”
I remembered back to what Mary said about not needing to know why someone falls for you, as long as you make each other happy. But then something registered…
“You fell for me? Like past tense? Like…not present tense?” I asked worried
He smiled and chuckled a little
“Do you want it to be present tense?”
“Well…I mean…whatever makes you happy. If you’re over it, then okay, and if not then...” I trailed off, nervously playing with my fingers.
“If I’m not over you then what?” he asked stepping a little closer. I could smell him, his warm Niall smell, mixed with his deodorant. I looked up into his blue eyes with the golden flecks and smiled confidently as a rush of calm spread over me.
“Then I would very much like it if you would be my boyfriend,” I said confidently.
“You wouldn’t mind the attention you would get?” he asked worried
“I would walk the stupid red carpet if it meant you were on the other end of it,” I said making him laugh.

          “Then it looks like we might be a couple,” he said with a twinkle in his eyes. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him in for a kiss. His arms were on my waist in seconds and it felt so nice to be totally open about things but not feel exposed. I loved being in his warm embrace with our bodies pushed against each other. I smiled into the kiss, causing him to do the same and put his forehead to mine and look in my eyes.

          “WOOO!!!” There was clapping behind us and I turned around to see Liam and Louis standing there smiling at us. “We came to see what you guys were up to, and we walk in on this!” Liam exclaims happily.
“It’s about time!” added Louis
Niall took my hand in his as we followed them back out to the table to tell everyone the good news.