Ch. 4: Can't get rid of him

“It was nice meeting you,” I said shyly as I got out of the car when we arrive back on campus.
“Yeah…you too,” Niall said
I started walking away when he said, “Suzan!”
I turned around and he stepped out of the van a little, “Sorry again about crashing into you,”
“That’s fine. Thanks for taking care of the damage,” I said and turned to walk away again.
“Suzan!”
I turned around again and watched Niall take a couple steps toward me. “I didn’t mean to freak you out with the whole fate thing,”
“You didn’t. You’re fine. No worries,” I replied and started walking again.
“Uh…Suzan?”
This time I turned around and he had walked closer, making the gap between us only about three feet. “Do you want to keep talking? We can skype, call, text, you name it,”

          Ugh! Put on the spot and I have no idea how to answer! Yes I wanted to keep in touch, but I couldn’t, I just couldn’t. He was an international star and I was nobody. There was no reason for him to even look at me. It wasn’t how things are supposed to go, this was reality not some fairy tale or a fanfic. Things like this just didn’t happen. If it was too good to be true then something was wrong.
“Umm…I…I…You’ll be pretty busy on tour. I have classes and work. I don’t think we would have much time, so it would probably just be easier if we said goodbye here for good…”
I looked down at me feet. I just really wanted to say okay, but I hated feeling inadequate and being around Niall I felt that. I knew it was my own insecurities, and nothing he did, but still, at least I could manage the feeling being around Emily-the-guy-magnet.

          Niall sighed and stepped a little closer to me. He lifted my chin and looked in my eyes. I caught my breath when I looked into those crystal blue pools. He leaned in and kissed my cheek. He smelled nice, standing this close, it was his personal smell, you know how everyone has their own distinct smell? He smelled…warm, and clean, and like his deodorant. He stepped back and I realized my eyes were wide and my mouth formed a small “o” shape.
Niall smiled kind of shyly and said, “Well…good bye Suzan,”
He walked away and got in the car. It drove off as I stood there frozen, blushing furiously and whispered, “Bye…”

          I laid in bed for most of the day. I couldn’t really think of anything. My mind finally went into over drive and I kind of just zoned out. Eventually Emily and Calvin came in and asked if I was okay.
“Mhm,” I mumbled
“Are you sure, your head isn’t hurting you is it?” Cal asked worried
“No,”
“Do you need anything?” offered Emily
“No,”
They left to go to the movie and I fell asleep, even though no one was there to wake me up every hour.

          “Suzan, Suzy, wake up!” Emily exclaimed
I opened my eyes a little and looked at the clock, it read a little past mid-night.
“Thanks, I’m not dead, go back to sleep,” I said closing my eyes.
“No, Suzan, you need to see something, and you need to tell me what is going on!”

I was so tired for some reason that I didn’t really listen and just fell back asleep despite her protests.

          The next morning our alarm went off and she said, “Okay, you need to see this!” She shot out of bed and grabbed her laptop and I slowly sat up adjusting to the light that was pouring in through the window. She set the computer in my lap and it showed a magazine article titled, “Horan’s New Squeeze?”
I skimmed over the article and saw pictures of us getting our food, us at the park, and there was even a picture of him kissing my cheek!
“Niall Horan, 19, was spotted with this girl, identity unknown. The Irish One direction member spent the day with her on a romantic park date and ended it with a sweet smooch on the cheek leaving her looking breathless at her luck…” I read out loud.

          “What the hell Suzy! Why didn’t you tell me!?” exclaimed Emily
I sighed and told her the real story of my car accident. I told her everything that was going through my head and everything we talked about.
“SUZAN FRANCIEN WITTLEBEAR! YOU REJECTED NIALL HORAN!?!? YOUR DREAM GUY!?!”
“He has his own life, and there are plenty of other girls out there that would suit him. Besides, it’s ridiculous what he and Louis were saying. Fate has nothing to do with this, I was being realistic,”
“No, you were being stupid! You need to start seeing yourself the way Calvin and I see you! The way Niall obviously saw you!”
“And what way is that?” I asked feeling upset that she didn’t understand my logic.
“You are beautiful! You are smart and funny and gosh you overthink every little thing, but that makes you who you are! You think you’re this nobody, but news flash! You most defiantly are somebody! Maybe high school was a bad time and people didn’t appreciate you, but this isn’t high school. Who you were then isn’t who you are now. Niall noticed you, Suzy! He saw something in you, and he has no idea what it is, but he wanted to find out!”

          I sat there and listened to her. “I don’t know how else to feel. I don’t know how else to process things. I’m just used to being in the background,”
“Well get used to being in the spotlight because these pictures are big. Niall is never seen kissing on girls. Crazy paparazzi will find you and Directioners will know your name and bra size by the time you get out of the shower this morning,”

I buried my face in my pillow. Just then my phone buzzed and Ashley looked at the caller ID, “He is calling you, answer it,”
I did as I was told.
“Have you seen the pictures?” he asked
“Yeah…did you get in more trouble with management?”
“A little bit yeah. Are there paparazzi outside your dorm?”
I got up to look out my window. I didn’t see anyone, but there were a few more vans and cars out there than usual. I close my curtains and said, “I think so,”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see any of them yesterday, I was keeping an eye out too. I feel terrible, I just keep making life more complicated for you, don’t I?”
“Um, you didn’t mean to. I mean, I didn’t see anyone yesterday either. It’s just stupid the world feels entitled to know everything about your personal life. You don’t have to be sorry about that,”

“Paul wants to meet with you today, he wants to tell you how to deal with reporters or fans who come up to you, and he needs you to sign something saying you won’t embellish anything and start rumors,”

“Oh right. Yeah, um, I have class today, and then work so I should be free after four,”

“Okay, our concert starts at seven, I’ll have a van come get you at four and bring you to the arena and we can go over things before the concert, and you can stay for the show if you want,”

          I looked over at Emily who was listening with the utmost attention. I sighed, feeling bad I lied to her so I said, “Can I bring my friend Emily? She knows everything so she should probably sign some of those papers too, right?”
“It wouldn’t hurt. She can come, yeah,”

“Okay, thanks, see ya,” I hung up and Em was trying to contain herself.
“You can freak out, it’s fine,” I said with a smile
“SUZAN I LOVE YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! WE GET TO MEET ONE DIRECTION! WE GET TO GO BACK STAGE!!! AAAAAHHHH!”

“Okay, don’t freak out when you meet them,” I said getting up to go shower.