Ch. 19: Superman, Batman, and some Hunger Games

The next day was the boys last full day here in LA. At breakfast down in the hotel restaurant, we all were discussing what it was we should do for the day.
“I say amusement park,” Niall stated
“But I really don’t want to deal with paparazzi today,” Liam said, making a good point
“What about doing something like a nature hike!” Louis offered
“I like that idea,” I said taking a sip of orange juice
“Where could we do that?” asked Harry
“I’m not sure…” Emily answered

          We sat there chewing our food in silence while thinking.
“BAAAARRRRRPPPP!” Niall belched louder than anyone I’ve ever heard belch and we all sat up, staring at his wide-eyed face.
“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,” Zayn started our chorus of laughter and we didn’t stop for a solid three minutes, and it got to the point where we were laughing at the other customers reactions at us.
We settled down and Niall said, “I think I’ll dedicate that to Suzy!”
“Aww you’re such a romantic,” I joked, smiling at him as he took my hand to hold under the table.
He leaned over and kissed my check, “Only for you, babe!”
“What about swimming?” Emily suggested, going back to ideas for today
Zayn coughed and took a big bite of his pancakes
“Oh, right, sorry Zayn, I forgot,” she said turning to him
“S’all right,” he replied with a sparkling smile
After a few more minutes of silence Liam said, “Paintballing?”
All the boys readily agree and Emily and I, who had never gone, exchanged looks and shrugged in agreement.

          We quickly finished our food and in no time were at the nearest paintball place. After getting suited up, and the rules were explained to me and Emily we decided on teams. “We need two team captains,” Liam said stepping forward, putting his hands on his hips and looking off in the distance heroically.
“Hey Li, why don’t you be a captain?” Harry said like it was a fantastically wonderful idea than no one had thought of.
“What? Me? Well…okay, if you insist,” Liam said with a crinkly eyed smile and laugh.
“I’ll be the other captain,” Louis said taking a step forward next to Liam and facing us.
“Okay so we have Batman and Superman,” Zayn said amused
Niall leaned close and whispered in my ear, “Hope Louis picks you, he fights dirty, but he wins,” I smiled up and him and said, “Thanks for the tip,”

          Batman and Superman flipped a coin for who got to pick first and Liam won.
“I’ll choose Nialler,” and Niall walked on over, and put a loyal hand on his friends shoulder.
“Hmm…” Louis said dramatically walking up and down the line we had formed to be chosen from. When he came to stand in front of me I gave him a big smile, hoping he would pick me.
“I chose Zayn!” he exclaimed loudly as the Bradford bad boy joined his new team mate. Liam looked at us and said, “Alright, I pick Emily,”
Louis once again looked dramatically at me and Harry, the only two remaining.
“WITTLEBEAR!” he exclaimed, bugging his eyes out at me,
“Yes, sir!” I replied trying not to laugh
“My team, now!”
And I went over to stand by Zayn who gave me a high five. Harry went and stood by Liam and we went out onto the battle field.

          It was a little confusing at first when we started playing, and Zayn saved me more than a few times from getting hit.
“We are one man short of Batman’s team, so we need to stay strong, tight, do you hear me, team?” Louis said seriously, looking us in the eyes as we crouched behind a tall hay stack. We nodded back and he said, “Okay, I’m going to the building over there, cover me,”

He started running just as a butterfly passed by and I got distracted by its brilliant blueish purplish wings.
“Suzy!” Zayn whispered, getting my attention and shooting off some rounds as Harry came into view to get a shot at Louis. It was too late, even though Zayn had squarely put a bright green mark on Harry’s chest; it wasn’t before Harry put a bright Pink splotch on Louis’ back.
“Guys!!” Louis exclaimed turning to us, losing the fearless leader act, “You were supposed to cover me!”
“I got him!” Zayn said, standing up to face Lou.
“Zayn, get down!” I said pulling his hand down
“Right, sorry, come on, let’s move,”
We crouched around shrubbery, past hay bales, and under a short one-walled, poorly roofed shelter.
“Shh,” Zayn said very quietly. I did as I was told, my heartbeat pounding in my ears as my adrenaline raced. I heard a twig snap and someone say, “Quiet!”
Zayn turned to me and held up three fingers, and slowly counted down until we saw Liam and Emily slowly walking around, scanning the area. When Zayn got to one, we both aimed and shot them, making bright green spots on them appear.
“What!!” Emily exclaimed looking at us in shock
“Hey guys!” Liam said with a smile, not even upset he was out of the game. We smiled and waved back.
“It’s just us against Niall now,” Zayn said standing up from under the shelter. Before I could respond there was a loud POP and Zayn had a big pink mark on his back.
“DAMN IT!” he exclaimed looking all around for where Niall was.
“Sorry Suz,” he whispered, careful not to make eye contact with me as not to give away my location. He walked away, taking his goggles off and I sat there motionless. It was just me and Niall left. I knew if I stood up he would find me and shoot me. I slowly peaked around the only wall that separated me from the general area Niall must be judging by where Zayn was shot. I heard heavy footsteps and quietly turned around, my back to the wall, pointing my gun straight ahead. I knew he was coming around to the other side, and I was going to be ready for him.

          Sure enough, moments later, my boyfriend appeared, not even trying to be quiet.
“Ha!” I said pointing my gun straight at him
Niall quickly turned around pointing his at me. “Hey princess,” he smirked
“I don’t want to shoot you, babe,” I said, suddenly getting an idea. I lowered my gun and walked over to him, standing at point blank range. This caught him off guard and said, “Well I don’t want to shoot you either, but that’s the game,”
I walked around to stand on the side of him and took my helmet and goggles off.
“But we’ve spent so much time on opposite sides, and now we aren’t, I don’t want us to shoot the other…” I was playing up the pouty a little heavily, but it worked because Niall lowered his gun and took his helmet and goggles off too. I kissed the side of his mouth but before I could pull away too much he took my face in his hands and kissed me square on the mouth.

          I pulled away and said, “How about we shoot ourselves. We could go all Hunger Games on everyone,”
“I don’t know…” he said hesitantly
“Pleeeeeease, I don’t want to be shot, you don’t want to be shot, I don’t want to shoot you, and you don’t want to shoot me…”
“I know…” he said considering it
I stepped back and pointed my gun at my foot. “On the count of three, okay?” I said
He deliberated for another second before pointing his gun at his foot and nodded
“1…2…3!” There was a loud pop and Niall splattered paint onto his boot. I however giggled and ran away before he could realize I didn’t do as I said I would.
“SUZAN WITTLEBEAR!!!! I’M GOING TO GET YOU!” I heard an Irish accent fill the air as I ran as fast as I could back to the rec hall where everyone else would be waiting. I heard his heavy footsteps catching up to me and sure enough as I got out to the clearing, everyone was outside sitting on a bench eating ice cream. They looked over as they saw me running to them with Niall close behind. I couldn’t run anymore and I put my hands on my knees, bent over trying my best to get my breath back.

          Before I knew it, I was swept up from behind, turned around, and flung over Niall’s shoulders like a sack of potatoes.
“Niall!!” I exclaimed

“WE WON!!!” Louis exclaimed noticing I was paint free.
He and Zayn high fived and Liam asked, “How’d you lose, mate?”
“She wanted to go all Hunger Games! We agreed to shoot ourselves because we didn’t want to shoot the other, AND SHE DIDN’T SHOOT HERSELF!” he said slapping my butt, making me laugh hard. Louis and Zayn ran over and pried me from Niall’s shoulders, only to raise me onto theirs and shout, “TEAM SUPERMAN!!!! GO SUZAN!!!!”

          “You’re so gullible, Ni, it’s just like that time you were the only one to jump in the pool, when we all backed out last minute,” Harry said laughing
“WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN!” he exclaimed but with a reluctant smile creeping on his face. I was put down and I went over to take Niall’s hand.
“You are so gunna pay for this,” he whispered in my ear
“Psh,” I said laughing at him, making him laugh at me.
In the back of my mind, I knew he would get me back, and I wondered how…