Ch. 12: Calvin

“Suzan…Suzy, wake up, Princess,”

I opened my eyes and looked up into Niall’s face. He smiled.

“Hey,” I said sitting up. I must have fallen asleep during the third movie we were watching – Finding Neverland.

“What time is it?” I asked

“6:47pm,” he answered

I groaned and fell onto his chest.

“What is it?” he asked sounding sleepy. We had eaten quite a bit and it had made us pretty tired.

“I don’t want to move,” I mumbled

“So we should probably just stay here forever,” he replied and I heard the smile on his face.

“That’s probably the only logical thing to do,” I said smiling into his pecks. We lay there for a while not saying anything until he broke the silence.

“Do you believe me now?”

“About what?”

“About how amazing you are and that I want to be with you because I see all these good things in you, even if you don’t?”

I was silent for a while, thinking about what he said. I thought about the way he kisses me. And how worried he sounded last night when he didn’t know where I was. I thought about how he didn’t just leave when I kept pushing him away, and all the things about him that I liked that I never allowed myself to think about. I looked up at his face. His eyebrows were raised and his jaw was clenched, I could tell he was anticipating my answer, he was almost nervous to hear it.

          “I believe you were meant to crash into me that day,” I said softly admitting failure to our bet. Niall unclenched his jaw a little and let out a little smile. I continued.

“I believe you do…you do really like me,” I didn’t look in his eyes though, it was still weird to think that, let alone say it out loud. He lifted up my chin so I had to look at him. He was holding back a smile, and said, “You know though…” he hesitated, and clenched his jaw tighter, more nervous, but continued,

“You know…how I feel about you doesn’t mean anything. Not if you don’t feel the same way,”

I looked down again and thought. If I told him how I really felt I would be entering a whole new world. The media would eventually find out about us, and being in the spotlight was not something I wanted at all. I still had a lot of self-esteem issues that Niall had to fight tooth and nail to fight past. How would I act when I met Perrie, or Danielle, or Eleanor? I wasn’t as pretty or successful or confident as them. I looked up in his eyes. It was then, looking in those crystals with the yellow flecks that I felt the same peace as I did when I looked at the sunset, or stars. I couldn’t lose him, I couldn’t lose someone who had that effect on me.

          “I notice how your laugh is contagious. And I notice that you clench your jaw and raise your eyebrows when you get nervous. Your eyes burn somehow when you get passionate about something, and your whole face changes when you genuinely smile. You have weird Irish slang terms that I don’t understand and you don’t give up easily, and it’s all so damn cute, and Niall, I notice,”

He smiled down at me, chuckling at how I mimicked him from the time in the park. We kissed and it was passionate and it was freeing, and I swear no one else could ever make me feel this way.

          Even Niall was too full to go out to dinner, so we went back to my dorm. On the way there I said, “I’m really surprised that we haven’t dealt more with paparazzi,”