Chapter 61 - Levi's Decision

Start from the beginning

Then, as if he had no strength left in his body, he dropped to his knees, arms and head hanging forward.

"LEVI!"

"DADDY!"

Hange and Lara ran to meet him, also dropping to their knees and they hugged him.

They hugged him like never before.

The three of them touched their foreheads, finally feeling each other's body heat they much wanted. Lara and Hange were deeply crying, and little by little, as feeling he was protected in the embrace of his girls, Levi also allowed himself to cry.

They cried and cried, their shoulders shaking.

There was a lot to be said, but all they could do at the moment was cry.

But just by being in each other's company, words were no longer necessary.

Levi wrapped his arms around Hange and Lara, pulling them closer to him. All he wanted right now was to stop time and cuddle with the women of his life for hours and hours.

At one point, between her sobs, Lara said, her voice breaking:

"They're all gone..."

Her parents looked at each other through their tears and felt as if they had been stabbed in the chest.

Of all the veteran Survey Corps soldiers, Hange, Levi, and Lara were the last ones left. All the others who had survived this Battle of Shiganshina, such as Eren, Mikasa, Jean, Connie, Sasha, Floch, and now, Armin, were relatively new recruits. Very few soldiers had stayed at the Headquarters, but they had all joined the Survey Corps a long time after Lara had.

Hange was the oldest in her career, followed by Levi and then, lastly, Lara.

They were the only ones left. None of their old friends were there anymore. This reality fell on them like a giant rock.

However, somehow, of all people, them, the only family of the Survey Corps, had survived everything until this moment.

It even looked like a miracle. In their hearts, they expressed a sense of gratitude for each other's lives.

Slowly, Levi lifted his head and held Hange and Lara's faces, looking at them deeply, keeping every detail. At the same time, the girls also placed their hands on Levi's face.

Lara felt a great pain in her heart to see her dear father in this state. At that moment, he even seemed older, with wrinkles here and there. Hange looked at him with a gleam in her eye, just like when she first saw him, when Levi joined the Survey Corps.

Then, as if they were connected, the girls took a clean piece of their green cloaks and began to gently rub it on Levi's face, cleaning him. He allowed himself to close his eyes and feel their affection.

Much cleaner now, Levi also took his cloak and started rubbing it on his daughter's face. Just as with Hange, Levi also had the impression that Lara had grown up since they last saw each other.

But at that moment, she was back to that little girl they had found in the Forest, of just ten years old. So tiny and small. Her blue eyes gleamed at him, with that expression of admiration she always made when she looked at her Hero.

Levi held Lara's face and began to clean it.

"You really need a bath," he said, making Lara giggle.

When he finished, Levi placed a long kiss on her forehead.

Then, he turned to Hange. Levi held her face and also began to clean it. For each part of her face that he cleaned, Levi would place a soft, loving kiss. Hange closed her eyes. When Levi got to her injured eye, he ran his finger gently, wiping away some of the dirt that was already smearing the bandage.