49

"Haruto, Sei." Heeyoung rushes towards Haruto's bed immediately before checking up on Sei.

"Mommy...?" He calls out to her weakly.

"Yes, I'm here." She places her hand on Haruto's.

"My body is so painful..." He winces.

"Me too, Mommy." Sei tells her.

Heeyoung was teary-eyed, seeing how uncomfortable they felt. "The doctor is coming here to check on you okay? Hang in there."

She looked at Jaehyuk who was heartbroken. He wanted to coddle them and take care of them so bad.

The doctor entered with Attorney Moon, along with two nurses. They checked on the twins immediately.

"Hello Sei, can you talk? Is it difficult?" The doctor asked her.

"I can talk." She replied, weakness still present in her voice.

"That's good, how are you feeling? Is there any pain you're experiencing?"

"My body is painful and there are things sticking on my body... it feels weird."

"Sorry little one, you'll have to get used to it for a few days. Don't worry cause you'll feel better soon if we keep the bandages on okay?" He smiled to her. "How about you, Haruto?"

"Painful body too." He cried softly.

"Hm okay, that's normal. We'll give you some medicine for that after you eat your meals so be sure to eat a lot."

The doctor turned to Jaehyuk and Heeyoung. "They're physically well, thankfully. I should just advise you to keep an eye on them since they might try to remove the bandages. We usually cover wounds of kids so they don't get shocked..." He whispered.

"The kids are capable of asking questions right? May we let the officers interrogate them?" Attorney Moon asks.

"It's possible but don't overdo it, they might be tired." He answers.

"Okay, noted."

"Alright, I'll get going now. As always, you can call me if there are any concerns." The doctor walked away but Heeyoung followed.

"Wait doc," They both stopped when she called out to him. "Their father... have you checked on him? Is he okay?"

The doctor sighed. "Not in a fatal condition but his state is much worse than theirs. He has multiple fractures aside from the wounds and scars."

Heeyoung closed her eyes to stop the tears from forming. "Okay, thank you."

The doctor and nurses left the room, while Indigo and Jihoon entered.

"Are my kiddos awake now?" Jihoon he tried greeting them a bit cheerfully.

They didn't have a good response since they were uncomfortable. Haruto's eyes were just closed as he sniffled. Jihoon sighed and sat down on the chair in the middle of their beds.

"Aish, I haven't seen you two in ages and this is how you greet me... Uncle Jihoon is sad now." He tries joking around to lighten the mood.

"Don't be sad Uncle Ji." Sei tried comforting him.

"Can Sei Sei smile for me so I won't be sad anymore?"

She gives him a small smile. "There, that's what I want to see. How about you, Haruto?" He shook his head in response and continued crying quitely with his eyes closed.

Indigo approaches Jihoon and places her hands on his shoulders. "Love, don't tire them out. They just woke up."

He sighs. "I just missed joking around with them."

She lowers her head to his ear and whispers. "You should greet Jaehyuk first." He looks at Jaehyuk and Heeyoung before standing up to greet him.

The two boys make eye contact before Jihoon gives him a manly hug. "It's been a while, Jae." He pats his back.

"Yeah, it has." He replies before doing the same.

"So uhm, how are things going? The case, how is it?"

"Police are going to interview the kids about what happened first, it may contribute to the case if they give important information."

"Do they know already? About you?"

Jaehyuk fell silent. "No..."

"Dude... you need to tell them. Like ASAP. Might as well do it right now."

"They're sick, it might stress them out."

"But what do you plan on doing though? Telling them only if you win? What if things go sideways, the case is closed, and they still don't know you're their real dad?"

Indigo flicks Jihoon's forehead. "Honey, shut up we're just in one room here."

He guiltily remembers that they're not alone. "Sorry." He tones down his voice.

While the two were talking, Heeyoung sits down on Haruto's bed. She caresses his tear-stained cheeks before kissing his head. "Go to sleep first, Ruto." He nodded his head and did as he was told.

She then moved to Sei's bed. "Sei Sei... do you remember what happened earlier?" She softly asked.

Sei nodded in response, making Attorney Moon walk a few steps towards them to listen. "Daddy got mad and said you aren't our real Mommy. He said our mommy is dead." Sei weakly pouted and it looked like she was trying to hold back her tears.

Heeyoung couldn't believe that Hyunsuk lashed out on the twins like that. He could've said that in a proper setting and mood, not during his uncontrollable rage.

"Is that... is that the reason why you got into an accident?"

She nodded again. This time, Heeyoung felt like she wanted to get mad. She wanted to hurt Hyunsuk and curse at him so he knows how much of a monster he is. But then again, she shook off the thought knowing that it's wrong. She's better than that. She's better than him.

"Daddy wasn't looking at the road and we bumped into another car."

Heeyoung couldn't say anything and just held Sei's hand. She gripped it tightly with care and placed a kiss at the back of her hand.

"I'm sorry you and Haruto got hurt." She sniffled and tried hiding the tears that fell.

"Don't be sorry Mommy, it's not your fault." Sei tried comforting her. "Mommy, can we stay with you when we leave the hospital?"

Heeyoung brought her head up. "We can try, honey. Do you uhm... do you wanna have a short vacation in Jaehyuk's house? With me?"

"Yes please, I like Mr. Oppa." Heeyoung chuckled at her innocent remark.

"You really wanna call him Mr. Oppa?" She smiled.

"I don't know what to call him so he's Mr. Oppa for me..."

"Well maybe you can call him... Dad?" Heeyoung and Sei were surprised to hear another voice. They glanced at the doorway and saw Officer Huang with an unexpected guest.