19

UNlock FM Station

"Come on, Migyung pick up." Heeyoung muttered to herself as she called her co-worker for the fifth time. It went straight back to voicemail and she sighed.

She dialed it again and decided that if she still doesn't pick up, she needs to give up. After a few rings, Migyung finally answered. "Hello Heeyoung?" Migyung greeted her with a croaked voice and a few coughs.

"Woah, are you alright? You sound like you have a sore throat."

"I'm sick, I can't go to the trip today."

Heeyoung mentally cursed. "Too bad, I thought I would have you right next to me for the rest of the day. Get well soon, Migyung."

"Thanks, sorry I can't come. I'll try to make it up to you when I feel better!"

"No worries, just rest and drink your medicine."

"Alright, bye. Enjoy the trip."

"Bye." She dropped the call.

Heeyoung let out a deep sigh again. She felt quite nervous to go on a trip with her colleagues that she wasn't close to. They were all excited to be with their friends but she wasn't. Her only friend at work was sick.

She decided to try talking to her boss, maybe she can sit out on today's trip and work instead. "Uhm hi Boss." Heeyoung approached her.

"Hello Heeyoung, how are you? Excited for the trip?" Junghee asked with a smile.

"Hehe uhm, I was actually wondering if I could just stay here at the station? Migyung isn't going and I feel like I wouldn't enjoy much without a buddy." She explained. Junghee looked at the rest of the workers and saw that everyone already had their friends and partners with them.

"Hmm maybe you can-" Her boss was cut off when someone else approached them.

"Hello Miss Cheong, is everyone ready for the trip?" The guy asked.

Junghee looked at Heeyoung then to him. "Oh what a perfect timing, Jaehyuk dear can you be Heeyoung's buddy for today? Her friend is sick and can't come."

Heeyoung's eyes widened at what she said. The guy which she assumed is named Jaehyuk looked at her and gave a shy, awkward smile. "S-Sure, it's alright with me."

"Perfect. Heeyoung, this is Jaehyuk. He's our tour guide for today, he's also my husband's nephew." Junghee introduced her to him.

She gave him a small bow and mentally cursed once again, now that her day was just getting worse.

"So Auntie, can we get everyone up in the bus already?" He asked Junghee.

"Yes of course, guys let's get on the bus already. Time is ticking!" Junghee yelled for everyone's attention and they all walked towards the bus.

Heeyoung and Jaehyuk looked at each other awkwardly as he motioned for her to follow the rest of her co-workers. Her and Jaehyuk entered last as everyone got comfortable in their seats.

"U-Uhm, Jaehyuk..." She glanced at him. "Where do we sit?"

"Here." He pointed at the seats up in front.

She mentally cursed once again and wished that they could just sit at the back where there were empty seats too. He did a headcount of how many they were and scribbled on his notebook, probably changing the original number of people that was written there. He then went to the bus driver to give him a signal that they can leave now.

Just when Heeyoung thought he would be sitting next to her, he suddenly turned grabbed a microphone and turned it on.

"Good morning everyone!" He greeted the crowd with a smile on his face.

"Good morning!" The workers except for Heeyoung greeted back.

"My name is Jaehyuk and I'm your tour guide for today as we go to Yongin-si!" The crowd hollered and clapped like gradeschoolers who were excited to go on a field trip.

"The trip from Mapo-gu to Yongin-si is not very far as it takes only 50 minutes to get there through a one-way drive like this. We're going to the largest city in Gyeonggi Province with over 1 million residents." He provided them with some facts just like what an actual tour guide would do.

"We're going to 2 of the most famous tourist spots in the city, the Korean Folk Village and Everland."

The crowd was excited once again as they were surprised in hearing that they were going to Everland. Even Heeyoung tilted her head in surprise as she heard it. "I hope you guys enjoy today's trip and make fun, new memories together." He said with a smile before turning off the mic and sitting next to Heeyoung.

She wanted to stay silent and just ignore his existence next to her but it seemed to rude especially on how good he actually was in being a guide.

Heeyoung cleared her throat. "You uh, you did well." She said while avoiding his gaze.

A grin appeared on his face. "Thank you, that means a lot to me."

When she thought that the conversation was over, Jaehyuk continued talking. "Not a lot of people compliment me in my job, they usually just ignore my presence as I talk. This has been one of the best groups I've handled so far."

What he said made Heeyoung glance at him with guilt. "I might be bothering you, I guess I should shut up now." He chuckled.

"N-No, it's alright. You can continue talking if you'd like." She usually wouldn't tell people to continue but she felt bad for him.

It made her sympathize with him cause they were almost in the same situation. In Luna and Sol, no one really listens to her but she still keeps talking and playing songs. For Jaehyuk, he continues talking about their trip and no one listens to him as well. Even if they didn't like it and felt ignored, it was their job.

"Wow, you're really nice." He chuckled. "So uhm, you're a radio station host?"

"Yeah, I host a show named Luna and Sol."

"Ah, you're the host of that! It's nice to meet you in person."

"Wait, you know me?" She asked in disbelief.

"Yes, I listen to your show everyday. I have insomnia so I just listen to you when I can't sleep, it helps from time to time."

Heeyoung was flattered that someone actually knew who she was and listened to the show. "I loved that one time when you said that we should embrace all our mistakes from before and change for the better. The acoustic version of Beautiful Scars was perfect for your little motivational speech." Jaehyuk told her.

"That was a year ago, how could you even remember that?" She couldn't help but smile and giggle out of happiness.

"I told you, I listen to you. Thanks for helping me sleep Miss Heeyoung."

"Aish, don't call me Miss Heeyoung." They both laughed.

"Then what should I call you? Heeyoung? Hee?"

"Whatever floats your boat, just don't be so formal with me."

"Alright then... Hee." He called her by her new nickname.

Twitter: holowrites
Instagram: graeru
Wattpad: graeru