Chapter 16 Heart Stopper

Halloween 

Y/N stands in her dorm, holding a pair of shears and looking at the red dress. It's currently being worn by a seamstress mannequin. She stares at it and wonders how to make the thing truly look good without taking the whole thing apart.

 She stares at it and wonders how to make the thing truly look good without taking the whole thing apart

After a while, she finally walks up to it and cuts the top layer off the dress's skirt. She takes off the first black layer of tulle and takes a step back.

"I think you should just take all those layers off."

She looks back at Lavender, who's sitting on her bed and watching. "Yeah, that's what I've been planning on, but I'm just trying to figure out how to do it without it looking too flat."

Lavender stands up and looks at the dress. "Well if you take all the tulle layers off, then you could add a layer of black, embroidered tulle."

Y/N walks over to her bed. She lays down the rolls of fabric onto the bed, putting down a layer of tulle over a layer of the satin. 

"Yeah, I think you're right. Thanks, Lavender."

"I have my moments."

She walks over to hers and Hermione's desk, pulls out a piece of parchment, and grabs a quill and ink. Y/N draws out a new version of the dress, one that she wouldn't have thought about. This dress design changes the bodice and neckline to be simply straight across the chest with thin straps. The dress' skirt is stripped down to the satin layer with one layer of black floral tulle on top of it. The waist is cinched at the waist with a ribbon wrapping around it and it toes in a knot in the front to the left. Two different lengths of ribbon hang down from it.

"Perfect." She mutters to herself.

Lavender walks over to the table. "That it is."

Y/N walks over to the window and opens it. She whistles out into the later afternoon sky. The Sun is going down in a way where it's just peaking over the horizons on the mountains. It shines just over the mountain. The skies are orange and pink and there a streaks of clouds stretching across.

After a couple of minutes, Aurora swoops in through the window. She whistles as she glides in and lands down to sit on her bed.

Y/N folds the drawing, puts it in an envelope, and pulls out another parchment to write a note.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mom,

Thank you so much for the rolls of fabric. I've sent you a sketch of what I plan to make the dress look like. I'm going to strip the dress down to it's satin layer and add a level of the embroidered tulle. I'm also planning on changing the bodice. I hope you like it and are also finding that your pregnancy's treating you well.