.158.

Chris POV

  The happiness on the faces around us match my own as Laura bursts the black balloon hanging over she and Spencer, a cloud of blue confetti falling over both of them. The squeals of congratulations and yelps of surprise fill the backyard. 

  I see Opal and the other three women embrace in a tight hug as several of my brothers in blue slap Spencer on the back with comments such as 'well done,' and 'I knew you could do it.'

  After a quick congrats, I fall into the seat between Jameson and Anthony. Reaching over I grab Giovanni from his dad and pull him into my lap. "Hey, Mr. Man. Did you give your mama and daddy an easy night last night?"

  "Unfortunately not," Anthony groans, laying his head back on the chair. "Definitely one of the nights I wish Opal had been knocking on the door at 3 AM." He rolls his head to face me, narrowing his eyes. "Speaking of, why wasn't Opal knocking on our door at 3 AM?"

  I shrug nonchalantly. "How would I know?" Giovanni gives a long yawn, arching his back before attempting to snuggle into my chest. I shift him around to bring him closer, gently patting his bottom to help soothe him to sleep. 

  "What happened with the two of y'all after we ducked out?" Jameson asks.

  "We hung out a little longer and I took her to the hotel," I answer honestly. "Maybe she didn't come banging on your door because she was finally able to get some decent sleep?" 

  Jameson eyes Opal closely. I wonder if he sees what I see. Her eyes are brighter, smile wider and certainly more relaxed. "She seems different," he suggests. 

  "Really? Why do you say that?" I ask, hiding my own grin by leaning down and kissing the back of Giovanni's head. 

  "She seems-"

  "Genuinely happy," Jameson interrupts Anthony. "You know anything about that, Evans?"

  "So, two new boys to the group, huh?" I ask, ignoring his questioning. 

  "Nice dodge there, Sergeant," Anthony chuckles.  

  Rae and Lily come walking over, each taking a seat on their husband's lap. "These boys are gonna need some girls to marry and cement this little friend group officially. I suppose it's up to you, Lily, to bring a girl into the fold," Rae mentions as she leans over and brushes her fingers over G's hair. 

  "Fat chance of that happening," Lily quips back quickly. "Have you not seen what I carry around in my purse at all times?" Anthony looks up at his wife as she just shakes her head, silently telling him he doesn't want to know.

  And then I do something that surprises myself. "Opal and I will take care of that."

  "You and I will do what?" 

  Opal joins our little group, coming up behind us, resting her hands on the back of my chair. Rae catches the panic in my eyes and jumps to the rescue. "Oh, you and Chris are gonna watch Giovanni for a bit tonight so Anthony and I can have a nice quiet dinner."

  "We are, are we?"

  I agree, nodding my head quickly. "Yeah. You know, those Godparent duties you were mentioning before. They felt like I needed to hold up my end of the commitment."

  Opal leans over my chair a little to give G a soft kiss over his hair. "So then shouldn't you be babysitting by yourself? I fulfill my duties all the time."

  "Hey, Ope. Could you go and grab me a piece of the cake?" Lily asks. I can tell she's wanting an explanation from my earlier statement. I'm only somewhat doubtful that Opal will fall for it.