.48.

Opal POV

I can't take it anymore. I've kept my emotions in check around Chris since he woke up from sedation. But, now, with his simple statement 'I'm not going to break,' I lose all resolve and completely fall apart.

  In my mind, all that this incident has really shown me is that he is indeed breakable. He's not a Man of Steel like Superman. A vest can't truly protect him from everything. No. He is most definitely breakable. 

  But it's not just that. I've realized what a large part of my life this man has become. How much of a void he's filled, causing me to realize it had been there all along just waiting to rear its ugly head and show itself. The thought of losing my missing piece is more than I can bear to imagine and yet I've been made to do more than imagine it this week.

I feel his right arm wrapped tightly around my back, holding me to him as tight as he possibly can with just one arm. His chin resting on top of my head before I start to lose my ability to stand up right, my sobs beginning to wreak havoc over my body.

"Come on," he whispers to me before taking my hand in his. He walks us into the living room where he sits on one corner of the black leather couch. I move to sit beside him but he pulls me into his lap instead. He reaches to the side, unlocking the seat into a reclining position.

   I don't fight against him, partially afraid of hurting him any further but then realize I'm leaning up against his chest wound. I try to push off of him but his arm causes me to become even more flush against him.

"I don't want to hurt you," I stutter out between sobs.

"Not possible. No wound hurts as much as seeing you upset and not doing anything about it," he assures me before letting me tuck my face against his neck and shoulder.

I attempt to gather myself back to some form of normal, not wanting to be this broken in front of him again, only to hear his next words. "Let it out, sweetheart." Suddenly I turn into a blubbering mess, as if my heart was just waiting for his permission to begin this emotional episode. 

 He has no idea the dam he just broke with those simple words. 

I cling to Chris, afraid to let go of him. Worried that the smallest movement away from him will make him disappear just like in my dream.

 My dream. I've not told him anything about it, not sure that I ever will. But I remember the peace and happiness I felt before I was abandoned alone in the woods. I'm afraid that's the part of the dream that sits at the forefront of my brain the most. 

  I hear him whispering 'shhh' sounds over me, my body continuing to ignore his efforts of calming me. I'm so far into my own emotional state that it takes me a moment to realize both of his arms are now wrapped around me, cradling me against his chest.

Looking over to his left I see he's taken off his sling and dropped it on the table next to the couch. "No, Chris you need to wear it." At least that's what I attempt to say, my words still being a jumbled mess of sounds not making sense to my own ears.

"It's fine, baby. I just want to hold you. Let me hold you." And that's what he does, as I feel one hand move soothingly along my back while the other continuously moves softly along my hair keeping it out of my tear stained face.

I have no idea how long we stay this way but the next time I open my eyes I notice it's completely dark with the exception of the kitchen light. Picking my head up from Chris' shoulder I see that he's sound asleep as well. My gaze moves to the numbers flashing on the television box, surprised to see that it is just after midnight. The events of the week leaving us both drained.