.74.

Opal POV

  I laid cuddled into Chris for as long as possible, enjoying the warmth of his body but also his words of reassurance.

"I wish I wasn't this way," I whisper against his chest, his hand that's been threading through my hair tops abruptly.

"Why do you say that?" he asks, shifting his body from mine, laying on his side facing me directly now.

"Because if I could I'd see myself more clearly, the way you see me."

Chris takes one finger and places it over my lips, bidding me to stop my words of self doubt. "I wouldn't want you any other way. Our past is what helps us become who we are. We don't have to live in our past mistakes, we learn from them to make ourselves better. If you were overly confident then my words would mean nothing to you, because they're things you'd already know about yourself."

My head dips down, unwilling to meet his gaze. "I love being the one that makes you blush. I love the fact that I'm the one who gets to give you words of admiration. I just have one thing I'd change about it," he continues. His thumb and forefinger now grip my chin, urging me to lift my head once more. "I want you to accept the things I say about you. No questions about it. I want you to believe them. Can you do that for me?

My voice threatens to crack as I answer him. "I can try."

"No, ma'am. There's no try, only do," he says sternly before a smile crosses his lips. "We can come up with a reward system if necessary." His tone now light hearted. "What do you say, Ope? A kiss for every compliment you accept?"

I ponder his question, over exaggerating the process by tapping my chin with my own finger. "I don't know. I'm kind of getting tired of your lips," I tease.

He moves quickly, rolling me onto my back completely pinning me down. "Then I guess I find another place for those reward kisses. Shall we try it out?"

My hand finds the nape of his neck as he hovers over me. I nod my head, giving him permission to try out his new game.

"You are an incredible woman, Opal Lucas. The way you love your grandfather and your friends is extraordinary." I turn my head away from him, a warmth coming over my cheeks, knowing that it's too difficult for me to accept his words.

  "So, that wasn't very accepting. I'll try again. Eyes on me." I turn my head back to him, challenging what he's about to say. "You are sexy as hell."

My breath hitches at his words, but I don't look away from him. "There we go." He licks his lips hovering just over my own. "I think that deserves a reward."

I revel in the feeling of his lips on my neck, almost getting lost in the moment before I realize he's not just kissing, but sucking. I come back to my senses and push against his chest. "Chris!"

"What?" he stops but doesn't leave his spot against my neck.

"You leave a mark and you're gonna have Pops to answer to."

He groans rolling off of me. "He and Scott would have a field day." His eyes drift back to the spot on my neck. "I don't suppose you packed concealer or something?"

I scramble out of the bed going into his bathroom to look at myself in the mirror. I gasp before turning around to see Chris leaned against the door frame, that gorgeous smirk I love so much plastered on his face. "Too far, Sergeant, too far," I poke against his chest with my finger.

"I can make it a matching set," he says playfully, his finger rubbing the opposite spot on my neck from his first marking.

I squirm past him, moving towards the living room. "I think you better get me back to the hotel before we both have questions to answer for."

Once back in my own hotel room I feared I'd let the evening replay over and over again and never find rest.

However, knowing that it was my own insecurities bubbling back up towards the surface, I was able to lay my head on my pillow and sleep without issue, even managing to wake up with a smile across my face, thankful Chris hasn't given up on me. Praying he never does.

  After a quick call to Pops room to make sure he's up and getting ready, I jump in the shower.  Once finished I hear a knock on the bedroom door. I tighten the robe around my waist, calling out "who is it?"

  "Room service," the voice responds. I'm confused as I haven't ordered room service.

  I open the door to see a smiling Lisa holding a tray with two to-go boxes and two travel coffees. "Lisa, you didn't have to do this." I move out of the way, inviting her into my room. 

  "I know I didn't have to, sweetie. I wanted to," she insists, setting the tray down on the small table in the corner opposite of the bed. "I wasn't sure what you or Pops might like so there's a bit of all the traditional breakfast fare." She reaches into the bag that hangs from her shoulder. "However, Chris did tell me you love pumpkin so I grabbed some pumpkin creamers for you."

  "God bless you!" I wrap my arms around her in a hug as she laughs at my love for all things pumpkin. I take the small cups of creamer from her hand and set to work, fulfilling my needs of caffeine. 

  "Well, I won't keep you. I'm gonna run and get ready myself." She turns to head back out of the room.

  "Lisa," I say, stopping her. "Can I ask you a question?"

  "Of course." She moves to the seat by the table, waiting for me to continue.

  "Has Chris mentioned that he wants me to be a part of the pinning ceremony?" I ask, hesitantly.

  There's a twinkle in her eye as she answers. "He did."

  "And you're okay with that? I mean, it's not like we're married."

  "Oh, Opal. We are more than okay with it." She rests her hand over mine. "You make our boy happier than we've ever seen him. And as far as not being married, I know it's just a  matter of time before you become an Evans."

  "You think so?" I tease.

  "Sweetie, I know so." She taps my hand with her own as she stands. "Oh, and if you need concealer," she points at my neck, "just let me know." She winks at me before leaving the room.

**It's shorter than normal, I know, but I just couldn't help myself. When I started it early this morning I didn't like where it was going. After a full day at work, it just kind of flowed.