.114.

Chris POV

Leaning against the bar top I try my hardest to listen to Officer Maxwell who just continues to drone on about how he messed up on some paperwork from the night before. I've already told him we can fix it next week and yet here I am, ten minutes later, still listening to him complain about the situation.

The only thing that is keeping my attention slightly focused on him is because I can still watch Opal from over his shoulder. So I find myself nodding along more than I probably should. I'm sure I'll regret some of the things I'm agreeing with.

I focus now on Opal as Spencer hands her the drink that I knew to order her without her even requesting. Maybe we'll make that our signature drink at the wedding, an inside joke between the two of us. The drink that started this all. She looks up from the glass sitting in front of her, giving me that sweet smile. I give her a sly wink back when Maxwell isn't looking at me. But it's even harder to hold back a laugh as I see Janie take large swigs from Laura's wine glass before setting it back in front of her.

Spencer returns, standing on the other side of Maxwell. "Hey, man. Like I said, don't worry about it. We'll take care of it," I tell the younger officer. "It's your first right?" He nods sheepishly. "Go and enjoy." I pat his arm, somewhat pushing slightly so he'll finally walk away. Once he's gone I slide down the bar, taking his place next to Spencer.

"You ever remember being that worried about screwing up?" I ask him.

He shakes his head no before bringing the beer bottle to his lips. "Not even a little."

"Maxwell screw up again?" Cooper asks, coming up on the other side of Spencer.

"How'd you guess?" Spencer quips.

"Evans here has more patience than the rest of us. Guess that's what makes him such a great Sergeant," Cooper adds.

"Had to with a partner like you," I jest back.

"Ya know what," Cooper begins, ready to jump back into his jerk like ways but his eyes catch something over my shoulder, back towards the entryway. "Is that who I think it is?"

I turn a bit to my right in order to see where he's gesturing towards. I'd like to say it's hard to tell who he's talking about, but then I notice the woman whose long blonde hair is not curly tonight, but straight as a board in a ponytail, hanging down almost to her hips. Her dress could barely be called a dress as it looks more like a long skirt covering only what's necessary, paired with a bikini top held together by a couple of strings. CJ just stepped right out of the 70s looking like Cher.

  "And you gave that up," Cooper reminds me, his eyes still looking over at CJ while I have turned back around

  "Don't do that," I say to him, shaking my head.

  "Do what?" he asks.

  "Revert to being a jackass." I gesture behind him where Janie sits beside Laura and Opal. Their gaze looking out to the floor. "You've got a great girl over there who has managed to last longer than a night with you. Don't blow it." I pick up my glass and walk back over to our table without another glance.