.55.

Chris POV

The remaining time at my parent's house was uneventful, which meant it was perfect. My mom took Opal downtown for a bit of shopping and girl time, treating her to a manicure and lunch. Whether Opal opened up to her about her family, I don't know. Neither of them said anything to me, and I didn't ask, but there was never an awkward moment between the two of them.

  "You come back again soon, Opal," my mom tells her as she pulls her close for a hug goodbye. "Even if it's without Chris." Her whisper not low enough.

  "I heard that, Ma." I wrap her in my own arms. "Ya know flights go South every day too."

  "This spring, I promise." She takes one of mine and Opal's hands in her own. "I want to see that beautiful Inn of yours and meet the man that owns your heart."

  I look at both of them confused, knowing I'm the one that owns her heart. "Ma, you birthed me." The statement earns me a slap to the chest.

  "So smug, Christopher." Opal turns back to mom. "I can't wait for you to meet Pops either. He'll be over the moon."

"I can't believe I didn't see snow," Opal mentions as we sit on the plane waiting for take off to New York.

"Babe, the trip isn't over," I remind her, taking her hand in mine. I knew Boston wasn't expecting snow this week, however, New York will, but I want it to be a surprise.

"I can't imagine snow being pretty in New York, not like it would've been in Boston."

"You just have to go to the right places. Which lucky for you, I know," I tell her, squeezing her hand in mine as I think about all the plans I have for us over the next couple of days.

The flight is quick, barely an hour and a half. By the time we have our luggage and hail a taxi it's nearly 9 pm. "You hungry?"

Opal releases a long yawn before she giggles behind her hand. "A bit, maybe more tired than anything. Your mom did have me out of the house pretty early this morning."

"I can't believe you went to her water aerobics class with her," I laugh out. "I'd have paid to see that."

"No, sir. Those baby blues of yours never need to be privy to that. Your mom was so excited to introduce me to her friends though. I may or may not have heard that you don't keep her in your relationship loops anymore."

"So, room service and a movie tonight?" I ask in an attempt to dodge having to continue that line of conversation.

"Trying to avoid responding to that statement?"

I rest my hand on her thigh, turning my head to face her. "I am using my right to plead the 5th."

"We're not in an interrogation room, officer," she rolls her eyes at me.

"Where my mother is concerned, that is questionable," I laugh out. "So, again... room service and a movie?"

Opal nods before looking out of the window watching the city bustling around us with life. "We can begin our adventure tomorrow."

~~~~~

Opal POV

"Babe," I hear Chris call from the bedroom. "Food is here."

"I'll be out in a couple of minutes." I had taken a quick shower and began my nightly routine.

I haven't mentioned to Chris that I'm actually anxious over this trip with him. I haven't stayed in a room with a man since before I left behind my promiscuous lifestyle. What if Chris isn't willing to respect those boundaries anymore? Maybe we have a single room because there's two beds. I mean we have both seen each other in pajamas, both of us being respectful in our attire choices.