.134.

*Unedited...off to work!

Chris POV

Once my family is settled in I grab the food from Mila and head back to Opal's house. I stayed away a couple of hours more than I had originally planned, giving her the space she desired. I'm hopeful that when I return she'll be in a better state of mind. If not mind, then maybe mood.

I know I shouldn't want her to rush through her grieving process. And I'm smart enough to know that for anyone else it would take some time to pick up the pieces. But, for Opal, I know this is going to be a much longer process for her than I've ever been witness to.

But in just a couple days time, I'll be back on shift in Atlanta. And I won't be here to make sure she eats or takes care of herself. I've been in contact with several precincts within a 30 mile radius, but there's just no openings.

With the pasta and brownies secured in the back seat I send off a text that I'm sure will be ignored. I just want to give her a heads up that I'm headed her way.

Sometimes I think I could now drive this route with my eyes closed. How quick of a turn my life has taken in just a few short months.

For that matter, how much has changed since the day before yesterday.

*Flashback*

"I can't believe he fell asleep on me," Opal says again as we drive back to her house.

Opal managed to get back to the hospital with just fifteen minutes left but poor Pops conked out on her within the first five minutes.

"In his defense, he did have a long day with several tests," I remind her. "Not to mention the amount of shameless flirting that man did." She giggles at the reminder of the Ladies Man he claims to be. "He tried to rope me in a couple times with the older, more attractive brother bit." She cocks her brow at me, teasingly. I hold my hands up in defense. "I stood my ground though. Told him there's no way I can handle more than his granddaughter."

She playfully slaps against my chest as she keeps one hand on the wheel. "I swear I can't win when the two of you are together. You become this old-man tag team that has just one job."

I angle my body towards her a bit, a smirk across my lips. "And what job might that be?"

"To drive me absolutely bonkers," she laughs out. "How that man hasn't drove me to drink is beyond me."

"Because you don't want your stomach pumped," I remind her.

"Sometimes, I think I'd suffer for it." She guides the car up her driveway, putting it in park. I hop out quickly, going straight to her door to open it for her. "Ya know, I'm pretty positive the driver never has her door opened for her."

"Well, I'm pretty positive you just haven't been with the right guys," I tell her as she stands. I push the door shut behind her before my right arm wraps around her waist, leaning her back against the car, as my left arm leans up against the car.

Her eyes dance, full of light and wonder. "Whatcha doing, Sergeant Evans?"

My head drops at her words, resting my forehead against hers. I breathe her in deep, a slow smile growing. "One of these days, you're gonna ask me that question and my answer is going to be 'you, Ope,'" I chuckle lightly as my right hand moves to cup her cheek.

"Sounds fun," she teases before slipping out from under me, skipping to her front door.

I give a cross between a hearty groan and a laugh as I chase after her. I don't quite catch her until we're inside the house. My right arm goes around her waist as I lift her up into a spin, her back against my chest. The shrieks of joy that emit her lips are enough to make my heart soar.