.65.

*Unedited because I wanted to get this out before heading to work. Forgive me?*

Opal POV

  There is nothing in this world right now that could take away the smile that has been plastered to my face over the last hour and a half. I keep going back and forth between the two men I love, watching them interact with one another as if it's the most natural thing in the world for them, and not the fact that they've spent maybe a total of three hours together since having met that first night in October. 

  They, whoever 'they' are, say that you look for someone like your father. Well, I never want to love a man like my father, a man who ran out on his daughter because he couldn't handle the events in his life. No, I want a man like my grandfather, who in all respect has been my dad since I was four years old. 

  With the two of them sitting here in front of me, myself being more like a fly on the wall taking it all in, I start to see the similarities. Listening to Chris speak more about his family, answering Pops questions about growing up in Massachusetts, I see a love for his family very similar to what Pops gave me growing up. He speaks about his heart for community and protecting those around him as being one of the reasons he joined the police force, mimicking Pops having been in the military. I even notice tonight for the first time that they  have a similar smirk. Maybe 'they' are right.

   "Right, Ope?" 

  I blink my eyes, realizing now that I have been daydreaming more than actually listening to the conversation in front of me, and now I'm being called out on it. Whoops. "Sorry, what?"

  Pops shakes his head at me before pointing his finger at me. "Daydreamer, where'd you go?"

  "No where, I'm here. What did you ask?" I lean in closer across the table, attempting to put myself more in the moment. I feel Chris hand rest on my knee under the table, giving a small squeeze.

  "I was telling Chris about all of the grey  hairs you gave me while in high school." 

  Oh no. "I did no such thing," I say pointedly before I hear Chris give a hearty laugh. 

  "I beg to differ, Ope girl. You and that Lily of yours gave me several mini heart attacks. Oh I remember one instance that got you grounded for a month."

  Chris looks over at me, raising a brow before asking Pops to continue. "There are certain parts of Jacksonville that you just don't go around, probably similar to some places in Atlanta." He motions for Chris to back him up, which of course he does. "Well, they decided to go to that area of town and the car broke down. Who did they have to call when Lily's parents didn't answer. That's right, me. I don't know that I had ever been so angry with you." 

  "Lesson learned for sure. To this day I still haven't gone back to that part of town because I feel like you'd ground me again even though I don't live with you anymore."

  Pops just smiles back at me. "Well, I have enjoyed this very much, but I'm old and I need my beauty sleep. You don't just wake up and look this great ya know. Officer? Care to take me home?"

  "I can drive you, old man," I offer, attempting to give Chris a break from being in the car. 

  "Nonsense," Chris says. "I'm happy to give you a lift. Opal, if you'd like to join us you can."

  I push my chair back, noticing that before I can stand both men have already stood up, turning their attention to  me. "Let me check at the desk and make sure I'm not needed."

  It's not until I move towards the front desk that I notice the dining area has thinned out drastically. "AnnaBeth, how are things?"

  "All good. I sat the last reservation thirty minutes ago. I think it's smooth sailing from here."