.113.

The Policeman's Ball was being held at The Georgian Terrace in the heart of Atlanta, just down from The Fox Theatre. The building standing tall on the corner of the busy street, its architecture exquisite.

  The ballroom glowed from chandeliers, wall sconces and candles adorning each table. Linens of black with white and silver runners placed through the middle. The look of sleek elegance, much like most of the people that entered the room.

  A band is situated off to the side, dance floor in the middle.

  Chris squeezes Opal's left hand tightly, giving her a look of pure admiration as they enter the ballroom. Opal feeling a sense of pride to be on the arm of such an incredible man, not only by looks but by his selfless heart.

  His gaze scans the room, looking to see if Spencer and Laura had beaten them there. Once spotted they move across the room to the far right corner. Laura stands to give Opal a small hug, even though they'd just seen each other twenty minutes earlier. "Still haven't told him," she whispers against her ear before moving to sit back down. Opal gives her friend a kind smile, knowing that even though Laura is incredibly excited over the pregnancy she's still naturally nervous to tell her husband.

  "How did we get here before you?" Spencer questions Chris.

  Chris pulls Opal's chair out, giving her space to sit before sliding it back under the table. "Uh, traffic," he admits, noticing Opal's face looking up at his, tinted pink. He figures they don't need to know the few stolen kisses they shared before exiting the car. He takes the seat next to her, their backs against a window, being able to witness the room as a whole.

  Before long Cooper joins their group, Janie on his arm. Opal tilts her head slightly, small smile on her lips as Cooper catches her eye. He gives a small nod that only she would notice. He pulls out Janie's chair as he takes the one left open beside Chris.

  "You look beautiful, Janie," Opal offers up to the woman.

  "Thanks," she answers. "This is very unusual for me. I'd much rather be in uniform or my sweats and yoga pants." The men at the table laugh, knowing that they rarely see her in anything as fancy as she's in tonight.

  "This works on you, though," Cooper tells his date. She gives him a strange look, letting those around know that this is unusual for him. "You're, uh, pretty, I mean."

  "Nice moves, Coop," Chris says as he slaps Cooper on the back.

  The men decide to head to the bar for something a bit stronger than the champagne they've offered to the table. Laura tells Spencer the lie of not drinking in solidarity with Opal, and surprising enough he goes along with the idea.

  "So," Laura starts, eyeing Janie, "you and Cooper again?"

  Janie rolls her eyes before answering. "I know. One week on, one week off. But this time it's actually been different since the wedding. I don't know what happened, but it's like he's suddenly wanting something more serious."

  "And you?" Opal asks her.

  She hums quietly, casting a glance over to the bar where the men are gathered. Cooper happens to look back at her at the same time, a smile playing on her lips as he gives the smallest of waves to her. "We'll see, I guess. Definitely not moving as fast as the two of you have, that's for sure."

  Laura giggles. "Never say never, girl. I wasn't that type either, but here I am. Dated long distance for four months, engaged at five months, married at nine months, and pregnant some time around month eight." She clasps her hand over her loose lips, eyes growing wider.