.102.

Chris POV

  Coming back to the apartment alone sucks. But, I know I would have a harder time keeping my hands to myself tonight if Opal were with me. 

  I don't bother showering or even changing yet. I drop my jacket off in the hall closet before I make my way to my bedroom. I fall onto the pillow with a smile, finding my features as Opal's scent still lingers. 

  Thinking back over the last few months, I can't help the stupid school boy grin that refuses to leave my lips. My heart feeling like it's gonna burst.

  This girl who refused me for weeks just said she'd marry me. This world is crazy and I'm just happy to be a part of it.  

  I let my mind wander, still a bit too keyed up to try and sleep just yet. Somewhat wondering if Opal is having the same difficulty I am having. I think back to the visit I had with Pops, the day after Lily and Jameson's wedding, before I headed back to Atlanta.

  "I guess I better head out," I mention, getting ready to stand from the chair that sits across from Pop's hospital bed. But, instead, I falter as Opal's grandfather holds his hand up as if to ask me to wait

  "Now, I mentioned to you that asking those silly questions, the serious ones or shallow, might get her to open up to you. But," he pauses, "if you're truly serious about knowing my Ope, I want to tell you some things. Things that won't break her trust in me." 

  I sit further back in the seat once more. "I'm all ears, sir."

  "Let your arms be a place that she feels safe in." He fiddles with the nasal canula of oxygen. "Don't let her see them as anything else, but a place for her to feel safe. In your profession I imagine it's hard to not hold onto anger. You can't let her see your body as anything but a safe haven for her."

  "Okay."

  "She has trouble falling asleep, but loves to cuddle." He smiles wistfully, the look of memories flashing across his features. "She loves music, and dancing and those awful reality television shows." We both laugh at his admission. "We use to watch LIVE P.D. together. That one at least wasn't trashy like some of those dating shows."

  I lean up a bit in the seat, resting my elbows on my knees.

  "Opal, loves love notes. Words that she can hold onto forever, knowing there's no way to ever forget what is said, a constant memory or reminder." He sniffles a bit, adjusting the canula again. "Babies. She loves babies. She desires to build a family even though she doesn't admit it to anyone."

  "We have that in common," I admit with a warm smile.

  "This one, Officer, I'm sure you've already experienced over the last couple of days. She has a real hard time accepting compliments." 

  I release a deep chuckle as he hit the nail on the head. "That one I have had the pleasure of experiencing, multiple times already."

  "She loves her family and her friends. Those girls have stood by each other over the years. Picking up broken pieces, heartaches, the celebrations. They're not going anywhere, so get ready for the package deal."

  I nod, already having gathered that a bit from our time together.

  "Take it," he whispers so quietly that I barely hear him.

  "I'm sorry, sir. What was that?"

  "Take it. If she gives you her heart, don't break it." His eyes begin overflowing, becoming emotional. I'm unsure if this would be happening this way if he weren't laid up in a hospital bed, having received some pretty hard to hear news just a couple days earlier. 

  "This may all be premature, but if you're serious, then you need to hear it all, because my Ope, the stubborn mule that she is, deserves the very best in the world."

  It's a deep look into this man's love of his granddaughter. I've never known anyone to speak of someone else in such a manner.

  I go to grab a tissue to hand over to him but he waves me off as he reaches over on the bedside table, grabbing up a hand kerchief. "I'm old fashioned, son."

  He uses the soft material to wipe roughly against his cheeks. "On days when it feels like the whole world is caving in, stand side by side, and you'll make it. She's the best thing you'll ever have." He sniffles again, holding the hand kerchief over his mouth, stifling a sob. "She'll love you, if you love her like that." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Opal POV

  The knock on my hotel room door has me practically running towards it. A quick glance through the peep hole tells me it's safe to open it. I swing the door towards me, practically jumping into Chris' arms. 

  He chuckles softly as he holds me close. "My favorite type of greeting." He leans in, kissing me, his smile prevalent against my lips. 

  "That is your first morning hug as my future hubby!" I exclaim, dancing a bit in place, still completely and utterly wired from last night's unexpected event. I grab my purse from the nearby table along with my key card.  Chris holds the door open for me. 

  I'm pretty much skipping the whole way to the elevator, singing his hand in mine. "Where are we meeting the family for breakfast?"

  "The family?" Chris quirks his brow, the corner of his lip turning up.

  "You heard me, Evans. Where are we meeting the family?" 

  I knew from my trip to Boston that Lisa, Robert and Scott were good people. But, between my accident and last night, I realize that they made me a part of their family months ago just by how much praise their son gave me. 

  "Not too far actually." He pushes the second floor rather than the first. I cut my eyes at him. "We're eating here, where they stayed too."

  I just shake my head, tossing my hands up. "How did you manage to keep so much from me?" A thought occurs to me and I step back from him, narrowing my gaze. "Were you even working yesterday morning?"

  His eyes dart to the roof of the elevator as he tucks the corner of his mouth between his teeth. "You lying son of a biscuit!" I slap at his chest, causing him to bust out laughing. "Do you even know what you put me through yesterday?"

  "I may have a tiny inclination." I cross my arms and wait for his response. "Laura text me some by way of Spencer while I was picking everyone up from the airport. Then I was given a very stern talking to at the bar last night by Lily. At that point I finally let Jameson tell her." 

  Well that explains why she didn't hang around me too much after that, until the actual proposal took place.  "Unbelievable," huffing, I shake my head again.

  "But, you were surprised. And that's what means the most to me." 

We step out of the elevator, stopping for just a moment I wrap my arms around him. "Thank you." I look up at him. 

 "For what?" he asks. 

 "For having my family here for it, including the most important people in my life."

  "I wouldn't have done it any other way." He kisses me sweetly before we hear throats being cleared behind me. 

  "Didn't think I'd have to ask you if you were decent, Ope." Pops tosses me a wink as I turn around to greet him. 

  "Hush it Old Man." I give him a kiss on his stubbled cheek. "I'm in love!"

  "Officer," he turns to Chris, "you keeping your hands to yourself? Or am I gonna get a great grandbaby before the wedding?"

  My eyes go wide at his boldness, while Chris just holds his hands in surrender and laughs.