The Meet

The car ride to Jungs was a mess. Both parents tried to put a smile on Kook's face after the exhausting discussion earlier. But Kook was lost. Lost in how the hell in the world Taehyung, his family or even the Mins agreed to this? Knowing the reason behind this union. His parents did want a partner for him but the urgency here was for a totally different reason. Why did these people agree to this if they loved Taehyung this much? A lot of questions crowded his mind, but before he knew it they were pulling up by a driveway in a very affluent neighborhood. It looked like a modern house which gave a warm vibe. It was secured by a gated compound and decorated with a well maintained lawn and patches of flowers. When they stepped out of the car they were greeted by a loud, excited shriek which turned their attention to the source of it. A very hyper excited fluff ball, bounced itself to them, and they were blinded by a bright smile which looked like a box shaped heart! 

Jungkoòk's earlier mood was suddenly lifted and his face adorned with a small smile. Due to his minimal (read as non-existent) social life, he had never met a child so up close. So he wasn't even sure how the hell he ended up lowering himself to the eye level of the child. For the first time in forever he tried to make his voice as gentle as possible, saying a small 'Hi', which was responded with a cute giggle! 

"You must be Kookie! Uncle Yooni said you didn't know how to smile, but your smile is cute! You look like a bunny! Tete and Jiji love bunnies!" Minji chimed. Jungkook couldn't help but pat her head affectionately.

"Oh, I know who Tete is, but who is Jiji?" Asked Kook.

 With an excited look on her face, Minji answered him, "That would be me, Minji! But Tete calls me Jiji, so our names match."

"That's so cute, sweetie. Could you lead us to your Grandpa and parents please? They must be waiting right?" Said Jessica with the most fond smile. With a hurried 'sure', the little girl started skipping towards the door, which opened even before they could ring the bell. It was Namjoon who opened it and greeted them with a warm, dimpled smile. 

"Mr and Mrs Jeon, welcome. Please come in, and you must be Jungkook, just as charming as your dad said you are." And he pat Kook on the back, while almost hugging him from the side. Kook who is always wary of physical proximity, couldn't react as he was new to this kind of affection from a person he didn't even know existed. So he tried his best but ended up responding with an awkward smile. 

"And as shy as your mom told me you would be" Namjoon laughed while leading them to a cozy living space. Seokjin joined him with his signature laugh. 

"Your sense of humor amuses me Dr Kim", he commented. And Jungkook could swear that he saw his mom rolling her eyes and mouthing 'not gay, my foot!'. But he decided not to dwell upon it as he had more pressing issues than feeling embarrassed about his dad hitting on his future father-in-law. He took a seat on a single sofa lounger chair and joined in the pleasantries that Jisoo and Hoseok offered. He made himself look engaged in the introductions by nodding here and there. He came to know Dr Kim Namjoon was a well-known psychologist and researcher in his field and was a regular in attending research in the USA. He was even offered a designated position in one of the most reputed research centers, in Arizona. Hoseok and Jisoo on other hand ran their own event business and Hoseok was friends with Yoongi, he was the one who offered the Mins an out from South Korea and supported them in everything.

Kook tried to keep himself invested in the conversation but his eyes were discretely searching for the one person he was curious about. Don't take him wrong, he was just curious. He was distracted fHe got distracted by someone clearing their throat, which he realised was Dr Kim. "Taehyung will be here in a minute. He is on a call with Jimin, as they couldn't make it today." 

'And you thought you were being slick. So much for being discreet Jeon!' He cursed internally and gave an awkward nod to Senior Kim. Just then, right on the cue he heard footsteps in the hallway right behind him. It took him all of his willpower, not to turn back and peek. Soon enough he saw a petite qq²figure, clad in a baby pink, a little sheer blouse and light blue jeans coming to halt and sitting right in front of him. He was bewitched by the way the brown locks were falling at all the right places on the flawless honey-toned face, the blushing bread-cheeks, beautiful sharp eyes and cute nose decorated with the most beautiful mole he has ever seen. But he won't agree to any of these thoughts out loud because he is still a bit wary of the idea of sharing his life with someone. And also he didn't want his parents to celebrate their 'win' too early. But suddenly the boy in front him moved his lowered gaze up, to look at him tentatively. And he could see he was as nervous, his slender fingers picking up non existent lint off his denim, slightly wobbling lips trying to form an anxious smile on it. God knows what changed, but the ice in Kook's heart melted a little and he sent back a small assuring smile towards the boy. As if the same got conveyed to the other, and Kook could see a hint of smile lines forming at the corner of Tete's eyes.

All this while Jisoo was observing these two with anticipation. And this small interaction made her heart a little light, she could feel Hobi's hand squeezing her shoulder a little. When did Hobi hold her? She couldn't figure it out, but she could definitely tell he also was feeling the same. And when Minji squealed, saying how Tete and Kookie look like some disney couple, both of them couldn't stop themselves from laughing. They knew in her own innocent way, their daughter was also conveying her approval. They asked their babysitter to take Minji to her playroom so adults could talk, but the little cupid wanted to be there to witness everything. It took Namjoon a while to assure his 'princess' that he will act as her royal spy and inform each and everything to her. He also promised her extra storytime to seal the seal. Once Minji went upstairs all adults sat there in silence for some moments before Seokjin broke the ice.

"I guess no one knows what we are supposed to do now, as all of us got married by love, and this is the first arranged marriage I am experiencing, I am so excited. So what's next?" He threw a curious glance at everyone. Jessica not so subtly grabbed his thigh, laughing awkwardly and Jungkook dropped his head into his palms in frustration. But before that, he did catch Taehyung getting all red and turning his eyes down to the floor. The rest of the Kims gave a heartfelt laugh and Namjoon addressed the elephant in the room. "Though my inexperience is as good as yours. I guess if the kids can introduce themselves to each other. Or if they have something to ask, they can. Or maybe if they want to spend some time alone, they can go talk on the patio, outside."

"Thank you Dr. Kim, but before we proceed ahead, with all due respect to the elders here, I want to be sure that you all and Taehyung here know all the aspects of this union, the real reason behind the urgency of this marriage…"

And there it was, a pin-drop silence he was dreading for...

To be continued...