✦ chapter one hundred three.

ೃ༄ "i thought i killed him

ೃ༄ "i thought i killed him..."
✧──────✧

f/n walked beside vil as all five of them passed tartarus. the sounds of wailing souls echoed across the narrow area as vil mumbled, "this is... the phantom asylum, tartarus. the size and depth of it make me feel overwhelmed."

"there's gotta be a big space for us to keep at least a thousand phantoms..." mumbled f/n.

"i can feel that the cold air is rising. it's similar to harveston during winter, but it's somehow different," spoke epel as he hugged himself and rubbed his arms, feeling the chilly air around them.

"yeah, it sends chills down my spine... i can't stop my body from shivering," remarked rook, "this is not just the cold air, it's probably the chill we have of the 'fear of death' that no one can escape."

"it's definitely a place where living humans should not stay long," added vil. 

"i can't see the depth of it... how deep is this place?" asked yuu. vil glanced at f/n as he asked, "well, lieutenant colonel? how deep is it?"

"there are 12 layers, as discussed previously. so... just imagine how far off we are from the bottom. tartarus is a place where living humans should not stay long, so once we arrive at the very bottom, i want you all to stay away from the gate," answered f/n, deeply emphasising 'stay away' with a tone. 

"what's... with the gate?" asked epel as his eyes stayed on f/n with a curious gaze. f/n noticed he was freezing a little and took off the jacket of her s.t.y.x. uniform. without uttering another word, f/n placed the coat on epel as she ushered them to move forward.

epel was surprised but, held on to the jacket as he let the warm fabric hug his body. 

their walk ended up at the emergency exit of tartarus. f/n eyed the elevator before her as vil spoke, "according to the map we have, the elevator we can use to get down to tartarus is around this area."

"mhm, it's this one."

f/n tried to open it, only to discover that it was locked. a sigh escaped their lips as she said, "of course, it's locked..." 

"it's because all the mechanics inside the building are under ortho's control now..." spoke epel as he frowned, "if they didn't want others to disrupt their plans, of course, they wouldn't let us use the elevator... i guess?" 

"yes, but... he wanted us to be involved... the directional mic inside this building might be working now..." mumbled f/n before calling out, "...ortho? can you hear me?"

suddenly, the elevator pried open as the group stood with wide eyes. 

"the elevator door has opened. this is..." trailed rook.

"it might be a trap," said vil.

"it opened right after n/n spoke..." mumbled epel.

"a combination of a mischievous android and an elevator... i just have a bad feeling about this," added vil, "but we have no other choice. let's pray that it won't shake up and down."