✦ chapter sixty six.

ೃ༄ "now or never

ೃ༄ "now or never..."
✧──────✧

weekend has passed and it was back to class once again. f/n stood beside ace and deuce as they listened to professor crewel talk about today's lesson, "alright. today, we have a joint class between first years and second years. the task is to collect mandragoras. now, the second years will be helping the first years. pair up and deal with it together."

ace groaned as he mumbled, "ugh~ man-to-man, huh. since there are so many of us in this joint class, i thought i wouldn't get found out if i left early." f/n glanced at ace before their eyes landed on the approaching second year, jamil. "isn't that a shame, ace? i'm going to teach you properly, so it would've been best if i get someone who follows instructions seriously." responded jamil, before his eyes landed on the first year beside ace.

jamil smiled as he nodded at f/n, "lady l/n— i mean, f/n... good to see you. i had hoped for you to be my partner, but it seems someone else got paired up with you." f/n nodded back to acknowledge his greeting and replied, "fair greetings, viper-senpai. yes, well... i wish you luck with ace."

"now what is that supposed to mean, n/n?!"

f/n merely waved in response before walking away from the duo, only to be tapped on the shoulder by a second year student. "n/n..." f/n turned around and was met with familiar aurora silver eyes staring back at her. a small, relieved smile found its way on her lips as she said, "sil... you're my partner, then?" silver nodded and replied, "yes... shall we?"

"mhm... right, we can clear this quickly. here are the earplugs," spoke f/n before handing out a pair of earplugs to silver. the diasomnia second year thanked them as he wore the earplugs in place and held a sack, "alright... let's do this, n/n."

"mandragoras scream when you extract them... i just have to pull gently now," mumbled f/n as she carefully extracted mandragoras with silver. the two went on without encountering any problems, until two sacks were filled with mandragoras.

"whoa...! look, l/n got so many!"

"i mean... she's paired up with a fellow diasomnia student."

professor crewel walked towards the two diasomnia students and eyed the loaded sacks before nodding and grading them, "perfect. good job, pups. you are free to do what you want, but do not leave the area until the bell rings." silver and f/n nodded as crewel walked away. the two then walked around and admired some of the plants in the area.

"...sil?"

"yes, n/n?"

silver turned to face f/n as he stared into her eyes, awaiting her response. "regarding your question back then... why do you want to... um..." trailed f/n. "you wanted to know why i asked if you would say yes, right?" asked silver. f/n nodded to confirm as silver continued, "...i don't know... i just wanted to know." silver looked away and avoided her gaze as he continued, "you can forget about it... it's not that important."

f/n blinked, unamused at his antics, before replying, "you're lying, sil. you're avoiding eye contact." silver cleared his throat and said, "...you know me quite well. do you really want to know?" f/n nodded as she watched silver pluck out a single rose from the bushes grown by the students, while silver thought to himself, 'now or never... i guess?'

silver looked back at the first year with a soft smile on his face as he handed the rose to her, "...n/n... i... you're a wonderful woman, i'm sure you know that. you deserve someone on your level, someone who would take care of you... you deserve a man who loves you unconditionally... i'm nowhere near your level nor do i think i deserve someone as remarkable as you, but... i... i lo—"

the bell rang, cutting silver off from his confession. he let out an exasperated sigh before weakly smiling at the first year, "...it's time for us to get back to the dorm." f/n held onto the flower as she stared at the retreating second year and mumbled to herself, "but... i didn't get to hear all of what you wanted to say..."

f/n looked back at the flower before running off to catch up with silver and match his pace. the two walked quietly back to the dorm, each occupied with their own thoughts. as they entered the dorm, they sat on the lounge with the other three present in the room.

"n/n!!! silver!!! you're back," greeted sebek. f/n nodded back as a greeting and sat in between malleus and lilia, "mhm... hi, seb. did you miss us that badly?" sebek froze before his brows furrowed as he replied, "what are you talking about?! it's not like that!!!" f/n frowned as she said, "so... you don't miss me?"

the crocodile-like human fae's eyes widened as he waved his hands off to dismiss her, "w-what?! no! i mean— no, that's not what i meant! i did miss you— ugh... n/n, you're so cruel~" f/n giggled and replied, "just messing around with you~ you're so adorable, fufu..."

lilia chuckled at their little banter as malleus had a small smile on his lips. the five proceeded to converse about their day and certain stuff that needs to be discussed, however, one member was not participating in the conversation so much.

silver watched as f/n would glance at malleus with a small smile on their face, or how she would look at sebek and giggle at how adorable he was acting, or how she'd freely joke around with lilia. he watched it all as he thought to himself, '...she deserves someone better than me... and she seems to like the young master a lot... i only want your happiness, n/n... but, why does it hurt to know that i'm not the source of your smile?'

f/n noticed silver's silence and glanced at him as she asked, "sil? why are you staring? are you alright? you can head back to your room, if you're tired."

the pain on his chest slowly tightens the more he listens to her voice. her mesmerizing sweet voice always felt like music to his ears, but this time, it only reminded him that he was never destined to be with her, that he would only remain a friend to her, another soldier for her to train.

"i'm... alright, i need to cool off..."

silver stood up and walked away from the lounge to leave the dormitory. he wanted to cool off by walking around and staying in a forestlike area all by himself, it might help him think or escape his little problem.

f/n and the rest watched as he left the lounge, a visible frown present on the first year's lips. "...what happened to him?" asked malleus. "i'm not sure, actually..." replied f/n, "...maybe he needs some time alone."

"i'll prepare dinner, then. so by the time he returns, dinner is served." spoke lilia as he stood up. f/n shook her head and stood up, lightly pushing lilia back on his seat as she said, "lil... no. i'll do it. stay here with mal and seb. by the way, what do you all want for dinner?"

"salmon carpaccio, please..."

"alright, seb."

"tomato juice~"

"that's a drink, lilia."

"ice cream..."

"that's for dessert, mal."