69.

Sue stood aside as SHIELD chartered off the alien inside the tachyon-particled container. For precaution, they put its silver board inside a similar chamber, making it impossible for the surfer to escape.

The surfer was expressionless as SHIELD took him away and Sue couldn't help but feel like something was wrong. With her arms crossed and her knee bouncing, the clearing bustled with agents. The equipment was being packed up and Tony stood in his Iron Man suit, making sure to watch the alien be driven off with the best agents at guard. He was yet to step out of the suit or even lift its mask, as he was sure his expression showed every inch of the irritation he felt.

Johnny kicked at the leaves that were burnt and smoking on the floor. He wanted to do more in the whole commotion, but the opportunity never arose. The surfer had barely glanced at him when it attacked, and Johnny wanted nothing more than to set it alite and finish their previous chase. Wanda was glad she wasn't involved, but she was also glad she was present for when things turned sour. As long as Sue hadn't been injured, she was okay with not interfering.

'I want eyes on him for every minute of the day,' Tony pointed his finger down at the floor as he spoke to Director Fury. 'I want him to be monitored like he is a new-born baby.'

'I don't take orders from you, Stark,' the man's one eye glared. 'But we already have that plan in place. He'll be at the closest base. You're welcome to visit but know that it won't be your place to interrogate him. That's our job. Your cooperation was appreciated, but for now, it's in our hands.'

Fury turned away and Tony's left repulsor begged to power up. Tony let out a 'tsk' before he turned to see Susan. If her turned-down lips and worried eyes didn't give away how she was feeling, her jittering body did the job. He resisted a sigh as he walked over, ordering FRIDAY to retract his mask and helmet. As his face was visible, Sue looked up at him, her forehead riddled with worried creases and her eyes doe-like and troubled.

'What are they going to do him?' Sue asked, stepping to be closer to Tony. His frame was large, the suit adding a few inches to his height and shoulder width.

'Whatever it takes,' he shrugged. 'If there's some other mighty force heading our way, we want to know about it. By the way, since when did you come SHIELD's head interrogator?'

'I got answers, did I not?'

'Answers to why you're his rebound.'

'His what?!'

'Oh, come on,' the Stark rolled his eyes in annoyance, his voice deepening to mimic the surfer's. ''To protect the one I love'. Give me a break.'

'Jealous much?' Johnny's voice slithered from behind and Tony whipped around to point a finger at the Storm.

'Pipe down, hothead.'

'Tony,' Sue called his attention, which he gave with his eyes darker than usual. 'If I upset you, I'm sorry. There's no need to be jealous of an alien-'

'I'm not-' he stopped and lowered his raising voice. 'I'm not jealous. I'm just... he came so close to you. He could have sent you flying. He could have hurt Junior and I wouldn't have been able to stop him.'

The strain in his voice was evident and she felt guilty for testing his resilience. He was always a man of his pride and when something he cared for was threatened, he wanted a hand in protecting it. If not his hand, his whole being. When Sue crouched down to be next to the surfer, Tony saw how everything could have turned deadly. He saw Sue being thrown back against a tree trunk and her stomach tacking the impact. He saw her pain-filled face and how her hand would fly straight to her abdomen, the life draining away from the growing baby inside. His world would crumble and his plans for a house in a forest away from hero work faded into nothing. Their future was fragile, and he wanted to wrap it up in layers of bubble wrap. There was no future if Sue wasn't there, he didn't think he could make one of his own.