17.

Director Fury looked away from Sue who still waited for an explanation. She was angry, confused and hurt. The file shook in her hand as she knew there was a bigger problem being discussed and she would have to wait for answers. She took a breath and finally turned her gaze to Tony. He stood across the room and itched for her to tell him what she found, but he would also have to wait. The two shared a look before turning to Director Fury who opened his mouth after a long pause.

'Because of him,' he pointed to Thor.

'Me?' he pointed to himself in confusion.

'Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that levelled a small town,' Fury explained. 'We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously, outgunned.'

'My people want nothing but peace with your planet-'

'But you're not the only people out there, are you?' Director Fury stared his eye intensely at the demi-god. 'And you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched. They can't be controlled.'

'Like you controlled the cube?' Steve piped up.

'Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is the signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war,' Thor warned.

'You forced our hand,' Fury fought back. 'We had to come up with something.'

'Nuclear deterrent,' Tony brought himself into the equation and Sue knew it would was about to get messier. ''Cause that always calms everything right down.'

The back and forth continued and it wasn't long until Steve and Tony turned on each other. Sue was about to step in when Thor mentioned something about mistrust in recruitments to Fury. She couldn't help but intervene and try to get more answers out of the director who was avoiding her eye.

'Potential threats shouldn't be the people you're relying on to save you,' Sue said through the arguing going on around the room. 'And since when did threats become people who don't exist anymore.'

'Storm, what you've seen in there can be explained. It's our responsibility as 'unenhanced' humans to know what's out there,' Fury put his hands on his waist.

'Unenhanced? I hardly think that's the word for you people,' she scoffed. 'How is Captain America a potential threat to an advanced corporation that apparently can go into space and-'

'You're on that list?' Tony cut in as he looked at Steve. 'Are you above or below angry bees?'

'I swear to God, Stark, one more crack-'

'Threatening! I feel threatened!'

Sue could feel herself getting angrier and angrier. A surge of energy rushed to her hands that sat by her sides. The familiar blue sheen flared around her fists and her glare to Director Fury was lethal. Everyone was yet to notice as they argued between themselves, but Sue suddenly realised what she was about to do. She looked down to her hands and willed the flares to dissolve, not realising how angry and unhinged she felt.

'You speak of control, yet you court chaos,' Thor scoffed.

'It's his M.O., isn't it?' Bruce said. 'I mean, what are we, a team? No no no, we're a chemical mixture that makes chaos. We're... we're a time-bomb.'

'You need to step away,' Fury cautiously looked at Bruce.

'Why shouldn't the guy let off a little steam?' Tony was heard and put his arm around Steve's shoulder, but the man shrugged it off and pushed him away.

'You know damn well why! Back off!'

'Oh, I'm starting to want you to make me.'

Sue gathered her senses and looked at Loki's scepter that sat innocently on its stand. The ball of blue light that sat at the end gleamed brightly, as if pulsating as it sent out energy. She could see the way everyone in the room got angrier and more frustrated. It was unlike her to even think about using her abilities with the influence of her emotions. She thought she had moved past that and had more control. But seeing how everyone else was arguing, even Bruce who was said to have full control over his emotions, she wasn't the only one who was out of the ordinary.