Chapter 58

Chocolate Cake Recipe

Serves: 3

Total Time: Hopefully less than the amount of time it takes to get from Texas to Florida by plane

You will need:

1 slightly stressed Dream

1 completely unserious George

1 ¾ cup of flour. Or whatever amount seems right

¾ cup cocoa powder

1 ½ tsp of baking powder

1 ½ tsp of baking soda

1 tsp of salt

2 cups of sugar

0 vanilla extract because apparently, you don't own any

½ cup vegetable oil

1 cup of milk

1 cup boiling water

2 eggs

Step 1: Panic about your lack of cooking equipment.

"Fuck!" Dream opens cabinets with such a force that a slight wind sweeps over his face, then slams them shut when he still hasn't found a bowl big enough for making the batter, "George, did you happen to bring any big bowls from England?"

Licking the last remains of his cake, George looks at Dream like he's a madman, which he now certainly looks like given the suddenly windswept hair, "Yes, Dream. Of course. I bring large bowls with me on all my travels."

A low groan rumbling in his throat, Dream starts investigating the fridge for any suitable containers, "If you consider moving yourself and all your belongings permanently into another home 'travels,' then you must take some long vacations. Please tell me you brought your stuff from the cooking stream maybe?"

Dishes set into the sink with a faint clatter, George washes his hands as a realization hits him, "Oh! You're right! I think I actually did bring something from the cooking stream. I'll go check some of the boxes I've pushed into the closet."

Having lost track of how George has been unpacking long ago, Dream can barely make a comment about the fact that George still isn't done yet before the other man is running up the stairs.

Moments later, as Dream continues making a mess of the kitchen, George triumphantly bounds down the stairs with a glass bowl. Dream breathes a giant sigh of relief and kisses George on the cheek with a fervor that has him giggling and wiping his cheek with mock disgust.

"We'll talk about the fact that you let this sit in your closet for two weeks after we finish baking," Dream says as he finally starts to gather the ingredients.

Step 2: Panic about accurate measurements for the ingredients.

"Wait, shit, how much is a teaspoon?" Dream squints at the ordinary metal spoon in his hand and makes a pained noise, "Are you sure you didn't bring the measuring spoons from the UK?"

"I don't know, maybe I tossed it into the miscellaneous box, but I don't actually know where that is," George manages as he presses random buttons on the oven, "I think I just set a timer for 350 minutes. Can ovens do that? I didn't know you could store alarms."

"George, did you unpack anything other than your clothes and your computer?" exasperated, Dream takes out his phone and looks for an alternative way to get accurate ingredient measurements.

"What more is there to life?" George asks, tapping another button on the oven, "It lights up?!"

Step 3: Assemble the dry ingredients after you painstakingly measure each one with the tiny scale you had from your high school chemistry kit. Or use measuring spoons.