Chapter 6

The silence stretches for what feels like an eternity.

"It's not on my butt!"

George's protest shatters the growing tension in the call immediately as Quackity and Sapnap burst out laughing.

"George is literally so mad," Sapnap points out between giggles, "I can literally see the fumes coming out of his ears."

"Well, Sapnap, how would you feel if everyone keeps saying you have your soulmark on your butt," George questions aggressively, "Yeah, bet that wouldn't feel very good now would it?"

"I don't know," Sapnap says the words in a way that means he's actually thinking about it, "I don't really care."

"You're such a liar," Dream cuts in suddenly, barely-contained laughter just bubbling underneath the words, "You're literally so proud that yours is on the back of your neck.

"It's such a cool spot! You're just jealous," Sapnap makes his character punch Dream repeatedly in Minecraft.

Dream fights him off and runs away, "Whatever. It's fine, you're not as much of a liar as George is."

George, who was dutifully replanting some roses they had destroyed in the process of chasing each other around, splutters.

It takes him a good three seconds to calm down before he can talk again.

"What are you even talking about?" he clicks his mouse with much more aggression than really needed and chases after Dream, "I was literally doing garden work-"

"You keep saying the soulmark is not on your ass when I know it is," Dream interrupts, "I have proof now."

The rest of the call explodes into "Oooh"s and "Aaaah"s like a bunch of middle school boys learning about each other's crushes.

"You do not!" George protests, "You do not because my soulmark is not on my butt and I did not send you a picture."

"Yes, you did. I'm looking at it right now. Everyone, I'm looking at George's wonderful and amazing and... plump ass," Dream hesitates before saying the last word and George feels like he's going to faint.

"Stop it. Stop it right now. You're such a liar," George says before anyone has time can think too hard about what Dream just said, "If you do have the picture show me."

"You sent it to me! Why do I have to show it to you? Find it yourself."

George girts his teeth at how plausible Dream's performance is. His best friend could be such an actor when he tries.

"If you have the picture, I dare you to post it," a sudden burst of inspiration hits George, and he blurts it out before he lets Dream talk his mouth off even more, "I don't mind, come on."

"What?!" Dream says it like George just suggested the most preposterous thing he had ever heard, "No way!"

"Why not, Dweam?" George challenges, babying his voice to imitate talking to a little child, "Is it maybe because you don't actually hwave the picture?"

"No!" Dream continues on with his act, "I just wouldn't want thousands of other people on the internet seeing your ass. George, I'm doing this for your own good.

He says the last part like he's actually doing this for the benefit of George, and if George didn't know the truth behind the situation he might have believed him.

George thinks of all the fans Dream is misleading at the moment and sighs so hard it takes a moment to catch his breath again.

"Okay, well," George refuses to just let Dream win this one, "Show Sapnap then. That's only one person, but he can tell everyone who's lying and who's telling the truth."

"No!" Dream protests even more than for when George suggested posting it for public viewing, "I'm not showing anyone else your ass. It's for my viewing only."

The words that come out of Dream's mouth sound a little too genuine for George to not blush lightly and purse his lips as a laugh huffs out of him without warning.

"God, Dream, why are you so..." George runs a hand through his overgrown hair and uselessly gestures at the air.

"So wonderful and protective? Because I love you, that's why."

The words roll so easily off of his tongue that George's mind completely goes blank for a few seconds.

He doesn't even remember that they're on stream for a few seconds. He doesn't remember all his anxiety about the soulmarks. He doesn't remember how this started as a joke.

He can't remember anything.

Somewhere, a firework explodes.

George sees a colorblind rendition of red sparkles glittering as they fall from the sky, and it makes him breathless.

"We're all third-wheeling again, aren't we?" Sapnap says it with a sigh, as if he was disappointed and not surprised.

"Can you two stop flirting for a minute? It's disgusting," Quackity joins in with the complaints, making exaggerated noises that accompany his words to show his displeasure.

"Aww, they were having a moment," Bad coos, and Dream rushes to agree.

George sits, numb in his chair as his head buzzes.

He needs to snap out of it but... what was that?

---

Kang's Note: I'm not sure why I'm uploading this, but take it before I regret it. My one question is why chapter 4 has more reads than the other ones. What sort of demon is reading this out of chronology. Hope you enjoyed, and I'd love to hear from readers! Thanks for being here.