Chapter 47

"What'd you want to talk about?" Dream asks as George logs back onto the MCC server and runs to the practice corner for "Hole in the Wall."

"What do you think," George responds dryly as he starts a new timer and begins jumping around in avoidance of the slime blocks.

"Well, yes, of course, the soulmark things," Dream doesn't let George's sass get to him, "But what specifically?"

Dream's pleasant attitude wears off on George's snark, and after a short attempt at resistance, he deflates a little in his chair as he jumps across a row of green, sticky blocks. They're supposed to be civil right now, and as much as George would like to override the situation with humor and sarcasm, it's most definitely not helpful to the cause.

"I forgive you," George blurts, like he's afraid if he doesn't say it now he won't ever be able to pronounce the words again, "I forgive you for the wrongs you have inflicted onto me."

A complete silence greets George's sudden initiation of the dreaded topics, as even the sound of keyboard-clacking and mouse-clicking go still. George grips his mouse too tightly as he fits himself through a fence.

"Thank you," Dream says eventually, candid and gentle and ten times more composed than George could have dreamed to imitate, "I hope you were not unfairly pressured into saying that. You don't have to forgive if you don't think it should be granted."

George shakes his head despite the lack of facecams, "I came to the decision on my own, after thinking about it."

It's true, and it was one of the easier problems to resolve in George's mind. To him, there simply was no good reason to keep Dream treading on eggshells around him, especially given his understanding of Dream as a person.

"You've made a big mistake and got us into a huge mess, that much is true," George lets the mindless activity of moving his character around accompany his thoughts, "But I know you're truly regretful, and that given the chance to go back in time, you'd do everything to prevent it from happening again."

"I would have tried my best," Dream voices his agreement as the gaming noises on his end re-enters the scene.

"Right, and you know, I don't think I was truly mad at you for making the mistake, because I think it was understandable given your circumstances and know it did not come from a place of malice, more just stupidity and overconfidence" George talks slowly, like he's coming to these ideas for the first time since they last talked, "I was more upset that you wouldn't talk to me about it."

Dream makes a small sound of acknowledgment that George gives a moment's pause to.

"But I think you get it now, and seeing as you have told me what's going on, and I have accepted the circumstances as they have happened, you are now officially sort of clear in my eyes," George makes a half-shrug and lets the words pass easily.

When should someone accept an apology? Give someone peace of mind even when they have done wrongs? Is it appropriate to ever let someone's past mistakes go?

George doesn't know, but he needs Dream's companionship more than he needs his guilt. And for him, that's enough of a reason.

"That's... really nice to hear," Dream seems hesitant on how he should take the news, and George stares a hole through his screen as he pretends to be unbothered.

He doesn't comment any further, instead responding with a simple "yup" and focusing his attention on the increasing pace of the slime wall.

As much as he'd like to say he really was concentrating on the game, the truth is that George can't mind-read and doesn't know what his forgiveness means to Dream. Best case scenario, he accepts it and the two move on into brighter futures. Worst case scenario, he thinks George is being lazy and impetuous and hasn't given the situation full thought, refuses to forgive himself, and lives in misery for the rest of his life.