Chapter 7

To not make obvious the fact that George may or may not have just felt something for his best friend on a fucking Discord call during a Twitch stream with thousands of viewers watching them, he stays on the stream for another hour.

Don't get him wrong, it's a torturous hour and he has to spend every last minute not zoning out thinking about things and completely missing out on some bit that has Sapnap giggling and Quackity cackling at a volume that makes George turn him down on Discord just another 5%.

George does his best to mess around with them, laughing much harder than really needed to sell the act that he's involved with the stream. He almost finds himself having fun towards the end, genuine laughter escaping him without him really realizing from time to time, and he clears his mind to cooperate with his friends to mess with poor Bad and entertain the viewers.

Bad disowns every single one of them by the time George calls it a day and says bye to a stream.

"George! Don't leave!" Dream begs when he realizes what's happening, "Just stay for a little bit longer."

"No," George turns him down immediately, "I'm tired and I want to sleep."

It's true that he's tired, but he probably won't be getting any sleep tonight.

"George! Georgie! Come on," Dream pouts and George can hear it in the way he talks, "I'll be so lonely here without you."

"There are literally three other people here, you'll be fine," George tells him off, "Bye chat! Bye everyone!"

He disconnects from the call.

He sighs deeply.

He needs Dream to stop having such an effect on him.

Another word from Dream and he might have actually stayed against his better judgment. He can't say no when Dream has that soft edge in his voice and asks like George's presence means the world to him.

It makes him warm and soft in a way that renders him completely helpless and confused.

That's what George is right now: helpless and confused.

His mind wanders back to what Dream had said.

Because I love you, that's why.

Dream has said "I love you" to him before, and George has reciprocated a few times of his own, albeit those occasions could be considered extremely rare.

George means it wholeheartedly, and he knows Dream does.

It's very impossible to spend hours upon hours chatting away at someone, listening to them laugh at things you said that are barely funny, confessing secrets and emotions you had never told anyone else, discussing serious topics that make the both of your brains hurt, and not love them.

It's very impossible to spend hours upon hours listening to someone talk, helping them through times of anxiety and panic, losing your mind at silly or stupid things they say that don't even make sense once the moment passes, learning new things together and sharing the fascination in elated wonder, and not love them.

But in a friends way? George thinks, only to realize that he had asked it as a question and not said it as a statement.

In a friends way, George replaces hurriedly, trying not to think about why he had been unsure about it in the first place.

Despite the fan's enthusiasm and their continuous joking around about the topic, George doesn't think Dream will be his soulmate.

It's true that they have never shown each other their soulmarks yet, but that's because...

George pauses. His train of thought grinds to a halt.

He tries again.

Dream and I have never shown each other our soulmarks because...

He pauses again.

Somewhere, hidden deep inside the foggy mist of his memory, there's an answer. George waves away the mist in an attempt to see better but they just continue to cloud around until he's right back where he started.

What was it again? Why had they never shown each other their soulmarks?

People show other people their soulmarks all the time, regardless of whether they had found their soulmate or not. It speeds up the match-making process and also helps showcase a cool part of your identity.

So at one point, being best friends, they must have come across the topic, right?

His memory relinquishes a clue: it was on a call.

George wants to throw his own memory into a ditch. Of course it was on a call, how else would they have been communicating?

He thinks harder about being on a call, but all the memories of his countless other calls fill his head and squeeze away any helpful information George seeks after.

George's head hurts with all the detective work he's trying to do.

He can't remember the last time they talked seriously about soulmarks since that last time when he complained about being "distracted." They've only ever joked about the topic, and for some reason, George never thought to question it. It was the status quo, and he was fine with it.

But things have changed since then, and he has changed since then.

Underneath his bandaid cover-up, George's soulmark itches again.

He wants answers.

---

Kang's Note: Why am I giving you another chapter? Because I might have hit a roadblock that renders me unable to give you any more soulmark content for a while. It really depends on how long the writer's block lasts but please take this and trust that I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks for reading! Have a good day :)

P.S. I might upload some sort of a one-shot thing just as a way to get rid of the brainrot as I plan this story. So... If you wanna watch out for that hehe