Chapter 16

It was only once George got onto the plane, took off, and observed the faraway land underneath him that the nerves started kicking in. Somehow, as he packed and prepared for his visit all of last week, he floated on a cloud of disbelief and excitement, aided by calls with Dream where they'd discussed and bickered over what George should bring or not.

"Do not bring your toothbrush," Dream said as George held up his to the camera, "I think I can afford a new toothbrush for you."

"Look at you," George teased as he shrugged and placed his toothbrush back into its cup, "Already paying for my things and I'm not ever there yet."

"We all knew this was going to happen, George," Dream replied, "Don't act like you were just beginning to find out."

George giggled and mouthed "sugar daddy" as he turned away to stare at his toiletries and decide what to bring.

"What did you say?" Dream's voice was bordering on incredulous, and George almost burst out laughing from his surprise and confusion.

"Nothing," George replied in a way that very obviously revealed it was not "nothing," but thankfully Dream seemed to have taken up new interest in noting the architecture of his bathroom, as he had never seen it before.

George frowns as he rethinks the situation. Had he been flirting? With someone he knew, or at least was supposed to believe, was taken? He was merely teasing though, so it was fine, right?

All week long, their interactions seemed to have returned to normal, and George could almost pretend whatever mishaps their friendship experienced some time ago was just an illusion he had dreamt up out of sheer unhappiness and loneliness. He knows it happened, still, the XL band-aid a reminder of the past, but talking with Dream just makes everything so much easier and George had almost begun to feel a sense of fondness for packing as it reminded him of being able to see his best friend soon.

Perhaps it was also because of their consistent interactions that George didn't need to spend as much time with his own thoughts, and so they never found an opportunity to crawl out and torment him. Even at night, he'd fall asleep from the day's exhaustion so quickly the moon had no time to wrap itself around his mind.

But now, sitting by the window with nothing to do and no Dream to talk to for the next nine hours, George is finally left alone with his own mind. He fidgets with the button on the hand rest to tilt his seat back, making sure not to go too far and squish the person behind him, then closes his eyes and tries to rest.

He finds little success, as the sounds of the airplane and the unfamiliarity of his situation make him uneasy, and he opens his eyes to stare at the seat in front of him.

He still has no plans on Mission Dreamwastaken, the new name he selected for trying to figure out whether he and Dream are soulmates, and he feels guilty for having an ulterior motive to visiting his best friend.

Why couldn't it have just been simple and happy? Two friends crossing seas to see each other simply because they want to?

The guilt deepens further as George contemplates his mission. Not only does it involve assuming that his best friend would lie to him, but it also involves un-existing Dream's current soulmate. What if George was just being his delusional, desperate self again and in doing so hurt his best friend's most important relationship in his entire life? Where even was his moral compass?

He feels his left wrist and the band-aid laying on top of it and hesitantly traces his hand around the edges of the stickiness. 

Before he left, George was contemplating on whether he should just leave his soulmark bare for Dream to see, so that maybe he'd come to his senses and finally confess that they were soulmates. Then he wouldn't have philosophical debates weighing the importance of his own happiness as well as the contentment of his best friend and they could spend the rest of the trip assured in each other's company and identity. He had put on a band-aid, then peeled it off. A few moments later, he re-applied the band-aid, only to peel it off once again as he debates with himself. Eventually, not wanting to waste any more band-aid, George left his fourth and final one on and exited his apartment.

His eventual conclusion was that they should interact more as best friends first before diving into the complicated soulmate stuff. They never even properly addressed their last soulmark incident, and George doesn't want his meet-up with Dream to begin with angst and disappointment before he even fully settles in. They'll get to it when they get to it, and George squirms as he contemplates talking about feelings in front of Dream. It feels too intimate even online, he can't even begin to think about being in person. He knows they shouldn't just sweep it under the rug and never talk about it, but right now he'd do anything to erase what had happened from both of their memories.

Despite everything, George is on the edge of his seat about seeing Dream's soulmark.

Most people don't conceal their soulmarks, either to help with finding their partner or to show off something they're fond of. George imagines Dream to be the type of person to show off his soulmark, practically drawing arrows to wherever it is as he brags about his soulmate. The thought is bittersweet, as George tries not to fantasize about a romantic future with Dream before anything has even happened yet.

Right, George doesn't even like Dream anymore.

That was a phase, and now it's over, George reminds himself as he curls his fingers inward until his nails dig into his palm, it's over.

He lets his mind drift to Dream's soulmark placement. He wonders if he'll be able to see it the second he sees Dream waiting for him at the airport. He wonders if Dream will show it off to him if it's somewhere obscure. He wonders if Dream will bring up the topic of soulmarks at all.

What if it was on his right wrist? George thinks all of a sudden, picturing two hands linked together with matching soulmarks on both ends.

He cuts off the imagery.

Dream already has a soulmate.

George ought to believe him.

Why would Dream even lie? For God's sake.

George feels stupid. He feels so, so stupid. He feels like the worst, manipulative person to ever exist on this Earth. He feels like a horrible person.

He tugs the sleeve of his jacket down his left arm and closes his eyes.

Perhaps he should change Mission Dreamwastaken to Mission Dreamistaken to remind himself of his status. It's time he stopped getting so ahead of himself.

Perhaps he should call it off altogether.

Who cares if they're soulmates? George will be best friends with Dream forever if it means they get to continue doing whatever they have been doing.

George falls asleep and dreams about nothing.

---

Kang's Note: Um... Yeah take whatever this is and anticipate tomorrow's chapter hehe. I have a lot of things planned for when they actually meet up but why is it taking me so long to get there. I feel the need to apologize for this chapter and I'm not sure why. Thank you for reading! Consistent voters I wish I could give all of you hugs thank you so much and have a great day!