Chapter 32

"He lost a bet," Dream says to the eager chat, "And it was either that or pay me 1000 dollars."

More like I lost consciousness, George thinks as he smiles awkwardly and listens to Dream bullshit his way out of the mess he's made of the situation, And you took advantage of me.

"Don't tell them what the bet is," George cuts in to play his part in Dream's little ploy, "Like actually, don't."

"Okay, fine, I won't," Dream pretends to concede, as if there ever was a bet in the first place, "But let me finish telling the story."

George groans as he quiets down to listen to what else Dream can conjure up. He would raise more of a fuss, but he's also curious about just where exactly Dream plans to take this, and for once pipes down to let him talk.

"So of course, knowing George, he'd never choose to pay actual money," Dream continues, "And I got him to write that on his face. He tried to weasel out of that one so hard, it was ridiculous."

If George doesn't know the truth of the matter, even he might be convinced by what Dream is spouting right now. It's a little concerning how good Dream is at coming up with false facts and presenting them as the truth, but George thinks it might just be a smart person thing.

"I literally made him keep that on his face for, like, two hours," Dream sounds like he's extremely proud of himself with the plot he's made up, "I even got a picture. He literally looks so- never mind. Anyways."

Dream cuts himself off before he can say anything else, but both chat and George perk up immediately, though for different reasons.

Chat, on the one hand, starts spamming pride emotes and "CUTE??????" "FINISH THAT SENTENCE I DARE YOU," "YOU'RE LITERALLY IN LOVE," and a huge other assortment of phrases that very directly call Dream out for being in love with George.

George, on the other hand, sits up straighter and frowns, "Wait, when'd you get a picture?"

There's a little bit of a silence from Dream, as if he had forgotten to keep that picture a secret, and is now in dire need of a good excuse.

"Sorry, what?" Dream responds finally, trying to frame his distraction in the most realistic light possible.

George sees right through it but doesn't call him out, instead asking again, "You took a picture?"

"Yeah, just on the webcam. Wait! I didn't even finish my story yet. Anyways, so then about two hours into keeping 'DNF' on his face George said he wanted to stream," Dream narrates as a way to divert the audience's and George's attention away from the most important matter at hand, "And I told him he could wipe it off for that."

George raises a skeptical eyebrow and shakes his head disapprovingly, mentally making a note to confront Dream about the picture later. He cannot give him more blackmail material than he has already collected.

"And George is such an idiot. Like, he just doesn't even think sometimes," Dream laughs as he finally starts getting a little closer to what actually happened, "He takes a completely dry, like, completely dry—like you could start a fire with that thing—he takes this dry towel, and just starts trying to rub the sharpie off."

George hates how the worst part of the story Dream has been telling is the part that's true, and chuckles along despite feeling the increasing need to give Dream a few good whacks on the head.

"Okay, to be fair," George begins, "I've never had to wipe permanent marker off my face, okay? I didn't know, stop laughing at me."

He hopes the excuse works on Dream, even making a little face of dejection as he tries to lessen the embarrassment of his thoughtless action an hour prior.