Chapter 57

"Okay, I've held back on asking this because I respect you guys' privacy and whatever but, like, what the hell is going on with you two?" Sapnap asks as he holds the phone up to his face and adjusts his earbuds, the noisy ambiance of the airport filling in the silence as he waits for an answer.

On the other side of the phone, George leans back into Dream, who cooperatively hangs his arms over George's shoulders in a loose back hug, and makes a poor attempt at holding back a smile, "I dunno. Dream, what's been going on with us?"

Looking down at George, who is half-laying on his chest, Dream senses an air of mischief in which he is now obligated to participate as George's partner in crime. So, playfully sweeping George's hair back, Dream says, "Oh, not much. Eating, streaming, sleeping. The usual. How 'bout you?"

George pats Dream's leg approvingly, and Dream shakes his head with a playful smile, neither of which the camera picks up for Sapnap to see.

It's ridiculous that Sapnap hasn't seen Dream's face yet, being one of his closest friends for even longer than George has, and practically no one believes them when they say it. Yet the two have never felt that facial recognition would be an essential part of their friendship, and they are so close to meeting for the first time that Sapnap has decided that he wants the face reveal to be in person. This has been of great entertainment to George, who has repeatedly threatened Sapnap with leaking the face reveal at any opportunity possible, and once even found a plausible-enough picture of some blond guy with green eyes and sent it to Sapnap, passing it off as Dream. Needless to say, it resulted in great drama until Dream stepped in and explained to Sapnap that no, he does not look like that, and also he would never wear a sweatshirt for the Pittsburgh Panthers for goodness sake.

"Bullshit," Sapnap rolls his eyes immediately, "There is no 'usual.' DNF is literally infecting the air we breathe, this is a crisis. It's a lot even for you, Dream."

Having been called out, Dream seems unbothered by the accusation as an easy smile pastes onto his face, "I'm honored you think so, I try my best."

"Yeah, you really do," Sapnap remarks with an air of incredulity, "Listen to yourself. I'm literally going to read you your own tweets from literally the past week. I'm pulling them up right now."

A pause as Sapnap navigates to Dream's Twitter page, before he resumes his rant.

'George is so soft,' 'i love eating cake' and then there's that fucking picture of George. 'you guys should all try kissing your homies. life-changing.' Dude!" Sapnap clicks back into the video call and stares at his screen with wide and accusatory eyes.

George's camera is unstable as he laughs uncontrollably with every new tweet that Sapnap rattles off. His face is slightly red when he recovers, and he's sending a scathing glare Dream's way though his lips still tilt upwards, "Dream, explain yourself. This is unacceptable behavior."

"Okay first of all," Dream starts, "You okayed all of these-"

"I did not!" George cuts in before Dream can talk even more, "These are all your own doing."

"But when I showed them to you you were not opposed to me tweeting them," Dream presses, and continues when George only humphs with vague disapproval, "Except the first one. I meant to say 'George's hair' for that one, and I corrected it later."

That part is true, as Dream was playing with George's hair while they watched some new blockbuster movie on the living room TV. George had just gotten out of the shower and dried his hair, so the faint scent of Dream's usual shampoo and a radiating warmth of shower steam still clung onto him in an invisible mist.

"Oh my God," Dream gasped as he set down his phone and pulled George into his lap, settling comfortably against the sofa, "You smell so nice and you feel so nice."