Chapter 8

George makes a point to act completely normal for the next few weeks.

He appears on his friends' streams, posts some memes on his alt twitter, and remains inactive enough for the Florida theories to pop up on his timeline again.

All is good and well.

He's finished using the last of his bandaids a few days ago, and he feels a little bad about wasting them simply because he gets distracted too easily. But having his soulmark out on his wrist, where he can glance down and see anytime he's working on his keyboard, is not the best idea.

He taps lightly on the soulmark, then simply leaves his finger on the circle. In the back of his mind, he lets himself make a note to buy more bandaids.

Then he falls into the rabbit hole of soulmate speculation.

Dream knows something, that's for sure. George just doesn't know what Dream knows.

The most logical step from here would be to talk to Dream directly, but George completely dismisses the idea.

If Dream hadn't spoken up about what he knew until now, he wouldn't if George asked him.

George thinks he might not even need Dream to tell him, however.

An answer brewing in his brain simmers and bubbles, and George tosses even more fuel to keep the fire going.

He sorts the situation he's in out thoroughly.

He never discusses soulmark-related things with Dream.

He has never seen Dream's soulmark, but Dream might have seen his.

They flirt constantly, and just about every person who has crossed paths with them ships them.

Dream is very overprotective and possessive of George.

George likes Dream.

When the last thought crosses his mind, he almost doesn't fully understand what he has just said.

I like Dream, he thinks, Yeah. Of course I like Dream. He's my best friend.

A moment later, he does a double-take. Holy shit. He likes Dream.

He can only imagine the comically shocked expression he must sport on his face right now as the realization dawns on him.

People develop feelings for people who are not their soulmates all the time, but somehow George knows he's right. It's taken him this long to reach his conclusion, he has to be right.

He. Likes. Dream.

Likes the way he laughs, his giggles, his ever-supporting nature, and the way he makes George happy. Likes the way he asks for praises, can never say "no" when George asks nicely, screams in exhilaration whenever something makes him really excited. Likes the way he flirts, the suggestive comments that make George want to bury himself, his quiet humming when they're working together on a call. Likes...

George grips the edge of his table until his knuckles turn white. How had he not realized this before? Now that he's admitted to it and realized the truth, his affection pours out like water bursting past an open dam. It rushes all around him and makes him feel like he's flying, and he's petrified with all the new emotions racing through his mind.

Once he finally regains control of his own body, his gaze slides down to the soulmark on his wrist. With his right index finger, he presses the mark every so slowly, staring at it in amazement.

He traces it, like so many other times he had before, and feels his heartbeat speed up. This time is different. This time he knows.

Dream has an identical one on his body, he thinks as he looks at the intersecting colors and its pattern, trying to visualize it on Dream.

He just knows Dream looks gorgeous with his mark.

The thought makes him light-headed and he suddenly has the urge to jump up and squeal like a happy child. He resists the urge for a moment, and then stands up from his chair. He carefully slides the chair into the desk.

And then he bursts into laughter as feelings explode throughout his body and makes him dizzy with warmth and happiness.

All this time he has spent in agony and loneliness, and the answer was right in front of him!

George feels ridiculous, but it's the kind that makes him happy that he's finally broken out of his clueless little loop.

He does a little spin, hops excitedly on his carpeted floor, and smiles stupidly at a blank wall.

When the rush dies down and the only thing he's left with is a buzz that makes him feel like he has just been electrocuted, he settles back into his chair.

Breathlessly, and just because he needs to hear it, he says, "Dream is my soulmate."

The words ring in his ear and echo until he closes his eyes that night and sleeps the coziest he has in a long time.

---

Kang's Note: I have returned! Hello new readers! I hope you are enjoying this. I do plan on writing more but uploads are inconsistent right now because I'm a little bit busy with life. I'm trying to figure out the rest of the plot right now, and I'm very excited about it. As always, thank you for reading! Have a good day :D