Chapter 34

George basically moves into Dream's room.

He forces Dream to relocate a desk into the corner of his room and sets up the area so that it's available for him to work there when he's not streaming, and by doing so opens the possibility for communication between them as they work.

Dream doesn't seem to mind George being there all the time, indulging him in conversation whenever he asks for it, helping him with the occasional work issues, and sometimes even asking them to play Minecraft together.

The ability to play Bedwars in-person and communicate without the use of Discord is something George absolutely adores and holds dear in his heart. With Dream sitting on the desk a few feet away from him, it's easy to peek over and look at his expressions and habits when he plays. Dream, being the person he is, always gives one hundred and ten percent to the game, meaning his eyes never even leave the screen. This gives George plenty of opportunities to tilt his head a little to the right and peer at Dream as he plays. The way he leans forward into the desk when he laughs, the little nips on his bottom lip when he's concentrated, the way he'll look over at George in annoyance whenever he's not playing his part right.

George will admit he probably spends more time looking at Dream during Bedwars games than actually playing, and the side benefit of that also includes pissing Dream off. George has always had a taste for pushing Dream's buttons and getting him to be frustrated, and when he realized that he'll be able to witness it live, he completely abandons any skill he's accumulated as a Bedwars player and starts throwing.

He blatantly and shamelessly lets players invade their base and destroy their bed, only haphazardly fighting one of them when it's clear that if he doesn't it'll be too obvious what he's doing. And inevitably, Dream, who was off doing try-hard things on other islands, will express his exasperation and tell him to "pay attention to the game and play, idiot."

To his delight, George also discovers, now that they're in-person, that Dream looks attractive when he's pissed. He furrows his brows and spins his chair around smoothly to face George, dissecting his performance last round and telling him exactly what went wrong that caused them to lose. He'll lay out a plan, use his hands to help George visualize what it is that needs to be done, and threaten to stop playing if George doesn't do what he's told again.

And George will nod and pretend he's listening, while really only paying attention to the way Dream sweeps occasional strands of hair from his face and the way his eyes actually light up with passion for strategies, and promise that he'll do better the next round.

He doesn't, of course. Next round, he might as well have played with his eyes closed. He listens to none of what Dream says, flagrantly disregards his warnings and instructions, and ends up losing the game for them again. Dream will shout at him and tell him to stop being a little bitch, and George will cackle and talk right back. Without another word, Dream quits the game and refuses to acknowledge George for the next hour, the thought of kicking George back to England probably very prominent in his mind.

That's when George bursts into laughter like the gremlin he is and lets Dream know he was being annoying simply for the sake of being annoying. Dream doesn't get mad, he's rational enough to not be angry over a block game and his best friend who is purposefully trying to annoy him. He does get annoyed, however, and oftentimes that frustration leads him to try to trash-talk George.

A mistake, because George grabs ahold of the opportunity and doesn't let go, finding any and all ways to respond in the most irritating fashion that'll result in Dream fuming and refusing to talk to him for the next thirty minutes "until George actually starts trying."

George is usually in tears by this point and falling off of his chair from laughter.

And thus is the time they spend playing Minecraft together.