Chapter 14

Frantically, George flips his phone over and enters his password. He scrolls like a madman to when he last left off and begins carefully reading his late-night texts with Dream.

In a haze of sleep deprivation and deliriousness, last night's George must not have been registering anything Dream said. He responded nonchalantly to Dream's text giving more information about his soulmate, and appeared to be calm and in control. George knows, for a fact, that that is not true. He's a bundle of nerves and feelings these days. But he's working on it.

George

so you want me to live at your house?

wouldn't your soulmate come back eventually?

Dream

we can cross that bridge if we get to it.

George frowns and thinks, that's an asshole thing to say. He shakes his head unimpressed at how inconsiderate Dream acts toward his soulmate.

George

and what about all the other things i asked?

Dream

it'd probably be easier to discuss on call

George freezes. He can't remember anything from last night. He... he didn't call Dream in his late-night delirium, did he?

George

tired

Dream

rest then

i forgot it was so late where you're at

George wants to feel bitter at Dream for forgetting their time zone differences, but at the same time, he's comforted by the fact that he told him to immediately rest without pushing any further. The conflicting feelings weigh heavily on his mind and he tries not to think about it at all.

George

i really want to see you

i miss you

George walks over to the kitchen table and pulls a seat out for himself. Once he plops down, he slides his palms up onto his warming cheeks and screams. God, how embarrassing is that? He can't believe he really just sent that to Dream, telling him things even he himself didn't quite know or want to admit.

He scowls in an attempt to ward off the shyness from reading back what he said, George, you're better than that.

Well, now Dream's going to think he's still in love with him or something.

This is why he shouldn't be going to Florida.

He places his hands down on the table and catches a glimpse of the XL band-aid on his wrist. Its stickiness has been eroded from him washing his face in the morning and the corner of it is peeling, revealing just the hints of a soulmark he had once been so fond of.

"He'll be away during that time, visiting a friend."

George will also be away during that time, visiting a friend.

Coincidence?

Just what exactly was going on in Dream's mind when he typed those words? Had he been playing mind games with George all along, and now he was dropping hints in hopes that George was sharp enough to pick up on them?

George pinches the corner of the band-aid between his thumb and index finger and slowly lifts, feeling the adhesiveness slowly relinquish parts of his skin as it slowly glides off of his soulmark.

Dream felt so casual about letting George come over despite his soulmate, and nothing feels right anymore. What if he isn't concerned because he knows the soulmate part won't be an issue? What if that one muddled night George can no longer remember did reveal something that neither of them has yet to acknowledge?

The band-aid is fully off of his wrist now, and George looks at his soulmark in confusion and sadness. The edges of the previous band-aid had left some gray sticky residue that George makes a note of getting rid of later. He feels bad as he looks at the poor pattern, the colorful lines in the circle, and interweaving threads, still unmatched and alone in a world where it should have found a companion already.

It should have found a companion already if its partner was more willing to comply.

George thinks he knows something new, and as he slowly comes to terms with what might be the truth, no sense of joy or excitement spark through him. Instead, he metaphorically slams face-first into a brick wall that Dream has built and that he cannot climb across no matter how much he'd like to.

I could still be Dream's soulmate. He could have lied.

A frown etches itself into George's face in furrowed brows and down-turned lips.

But George got over Dream. George no longer wants to be Dream's soulmate. He was in shock and in pain, yes, but that was weeks ago. George just wants to be Dream's friend again.

His stuttering heart says otherwise.

"I'm jumping to conclusions again," George says out loud, hoping that somehow the audibility of his own warning will make him less buzzed by a potential new discovery, "This is repeating the last time I thought the same thing."

A flash of hurt pierces his heart for a moment and he closes his eyes and waits for the feeling to subside. The last time he thought something along the lines of "being Dream's soulmate," it didn't go well. He can't risk doing the same this time.

He pulls his wrist closer to his face. Is it just him or does his soulmark look like it was fading? Not as vibrant and colorful as he'd always seen it to be, but desaturated in the texture of a wilting flower?

He pets it gently and as his eyes cloud with contemplation. Then he pushes himself up and slides his chair back until he's able to exit the sitting space. He's made his decision.

George has learned his lesson, and he's not setting his heart out on a platter anymore. That's too vulnerable, too risky, too reminiscent of past incidents. He'll be vigilant this time, observant and careful but bold enough to get his way. There's no way Dream can slip through his grasps again, he won't rest until he gets to the bottom of this.

With a newly determined look in his eyes, George pulls another band-aid from the boxy container it arrived in. He peels off the paper slices that keep it sticky then carefully presses it over his soulmark and stretches his arms to roll his wrist around. He pulls out his phone one last time.

Dream's final messages from their conversation come two minutes after George's mortifying confessions.

Dream

me too

i've missed you lots

i hope we get to meet up soon :)

mark my words, you wont regret this

George stares.

Dream's right, he won't regret this. The perfect opportunity at finding all the answers is staring him right in the eyes, and George feels a sudden rush of power and confidence as he clicks the phone button and waits for his call to go through.

He's been through pain, and he's emerged with more experience if not a little more heartbreak. George trusts himself that he'll make the right decisions.

"Dream? Let's talk about Florida."

---

Kang's Note: IRL content... soon... mayhaps. Thank you for your attention and for reading, I hope you stay healthy and happy!